Bright ideas needed! - feeling a bit desperate

MissSBird

Visit site
Ok guys

I am currently horse sitting in Holland. The water pump to the property has broken as the temperature has suddenly dropped - owners have arranged for a technically minded friend to come by and see if he can work out what has happened to it. If that doesn't work said friend will call a technician, but chances of finding one are slim as everyone around here is now probably in the same situation.

If we can't get it fixed, I only have a bike to get to the nearest village. Looking at the bags I think I could carry 4, maybe 6, two litre bottles of water. And I have six horses to try and water.

I have filled buckets with all the ice I could find and brought them into the house to melt. I've also poured all my remaining drinking water into these buckets - I have coke and orange juice so I'll survive.

Can anyone think of any other way I can get water for them?

amycamycamyc

Visit site
is there a water tank in the house/loft?
is there a nearby river?
are there any neighbours who could help?

sorry these prob aren't very helpful suggestions, i don't envy you!

orrrr could you get a taxi to and from the nearest village and take the water buckets to fill properly (and fashion some lids out of something?). presumably the horse owners would pay you back given you're doing it for their horses!

Last edited:

Fellewell

Visit site
If you are all in the same situation surely someone with transport is making runs to the next village for water? Throw yourself on their mercy and cadge a lift? Failing that, are there any local yards who could help you? Last resort, take a taxi?

Good luck:)

MissSBird

Visit site
Big problem being that I don't speak a word of Dutch!

Friend has just come by with some heating lamps (like the type they use for premi lambs) and hooked them around the pump. Hopefully it's just cold. He says it was around -10 last night!

There's no snow or I'd have grabbed that rather than the ice.

Have managed to find a water container so about to put that in the wheelbarrow and go try the neighbours - about 500 metres down the road.

I'm just outside of Varsseveld Kirstykate.

There is a large pond over the fence. I'll go and investigate if I can get down to it safetly. Don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Thanks guys!