Brilliant day out with the Coakham Bloodhounds!!

icklemadame

Visit site
I went out with the Coakham last Sunday at Bassetts Manor, Hartfield, and had the best day I think I've ever had!! Firstly it was my first time taking her out in the horsebox by myself, with nobody to help me, so it was a huge acheivement just to get there, manage to get onto her, and then get her back home again, esp in the pouring rain with her in 'hunting' mode! :) I always absolutely love going out with the Coakham, its always so friendly and everyones so relaxed and welcoming, no looking down their noses at all, they remembered me from last year and were so chatty and ahhh... just so different from other hunting experiences!! My pony was named the 'star of the day' by one of the masters - she jumped everything she was asked to, she absolutely flew, including the biggest hedge of the day, a drop holly that I was looking up at as we took off, the biggest and beefiest hedge we've ever tackled - hence the master coming up to me at the end of the line, astonished my tiny pony had sailed over so easily, esp as only a couple of people had even attempted it!! He estimated (I'm guessing from when they walked the country) that it was higher than his chin on take off - I still can't believe she jumped it!! :) :) :) Can you tell I'm chuffed?!? I'm waiting for the pics to go up, I think its unlikely that they got that hedge but you never know!! Anyway, an absolutely amazing day and I can't wait to go out with them again - highly recommended to anyone close enough!! :)

seche

Visit site
Bassetts is an excellent day!! I remember the hedges there being big enough on a 16.1! Well done and Im glad you had such fun - I wish we werent living miles away! Id be out every Sunday otherwise!
Sue is usually brilliantly positioned when it comes to taking photos - so watch this space!!

Haniki

Visit site
Well done icklemadame - I would never be brave enough to jump a hedge! Don't blame you for wanting a photo. Glad the hunt were friendly and that you enjoyed your day.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Its so lovely reading about other people who go out and have amazing day's. I've got a few day's which I think about and think "wow that was brilliant". My best one was out with the Cambridge Uni Drag last season and my OH came out too. We flew over everything inc. a well over 5 ft hedge and we spent the whole of that night reliving it.

Its all about enjoying yourself at the end of the day!! And you obviously did. Hurray!!

icklemadame

Visit site
I've been replaying it in my head all week!! I still haven't stopped grinning!! We've been toying with the idea of going out with the Mid Surrey Drag this season - as we're loving the big hedges so much - may try and get out with the bloodhounds (coakham & kent & surrey) as much as possible for most of the season and see how brave I'm feeling at the end!!

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Ironically I've just been given a little coloured mare who is only about 14.2hh on loan to hunt for the season with a view to selling her at the end of it. I was slightly sceptical when she came off the lorry but having taken her hunting 5 times so far - she is amazing. I took her to a joint meet in the Blackmore Vale country and she flew the hedges and all the very trappy places. Us and our little coloured ponies rock!! Who says size matters?!!!

The Mid Surrey Drag are great from what I've heard.

KatB

Visit site
My old 14.2hh Coloured cob was exactly the same and was known as being amazing in the derbyshire country over BIG hedges :eek:) Must be a 14hh coloured pony thing!!

icklemadame

Visit site
I do love hunting on a pony - they're brave enough to jump everything the big hunters jump, inc all the nasty trappy jumps that tend to spook most of the horses, plus you never have to worry about where their feet are or anything, they just sort themselves out, they're sure footed enough to cope with the deepest boggy bits and the most horrible uneven or muddy ground, plus you're small enough to go flat out through woods without being knocked off by overhead branches!! I trust her implicitly, in despite of her being an unstoppable fizzy loon, I just know whatever happens we will get to the other side in one piece - ponies just have this resolute sense of self preservation!!

Drummer

Visit site
Ahhh fantastic!!!! I am getting so excited just reading this!! I am itching to get out on the boy, the mocks at warren barn just stopped being so exciting so will get onto the boyfriend about lorry driving and drag friend and ginger pony along yay!!!

We may see you soon!

Off to look at your pics now and no doubt have second thoughts lol!

icklemadame

Visit site
It would be brilliant to see you and Vicki out!! And as I've said to Vicki before you are more than welcome to come along with me to any OSBWK meets as well :) Unfortunately the Warren Barn hunts are a little predictable nowadays - I'll still be taking little gangs of kids to them, they are always fun for introductions into hunting, and its a nice relaxed day, but they don't get the blood rushing in anyway anymore!! Definately not the way hunting with either the OSBWK or the Coakham does :)

SpruceRI

Visit site
Hi Icklemadame

Reading your post makes me feel I should give myself a kick up the arse, get my pony fit and get out there!

I went to the Bassetts Manor meet last year/year before. It threw it down all day, but I still enjoyed it.

The best one I ever went to was my 2nd attempt with the Coakham at a meet in Mark Cross. The hedges were massive, bigger than anything we'd ever done before and I was so elated after the first line that I wanted to sing! Luckily for everyone I held back!

Halfpass

Visit site
I'm going :grin:
On the grey in my sig.
Will have to see what he is like on the day as he's an old boy with a bit of a back problem so will probably only do 1 line and avoid the jumps :p :D

killyourspeed

Visit site
i went with the kent and surrey nbloodhounds last weds ! an exercise day it was awsome ! such lovely ppl and so welcoming to a new stranger ! my friends naughty pony would not jump a water ditch ! instead of them all leaving us the wipper in went back to guide her thru a safer route ! lovely day lovely ppl ! def recommend !

Lollii

Visit site
Just wanted to agree with you about The Coakham being friendly, lots of fun and ... fast!

I didn't go at the weekend but went during the week and I am going again this week .... so much fun!!

Simsar

Visit site
Glad you had a good day sounds fab. You must go with the Kent and Surrey, they are a good pack.

can't find your photo's am I being thick???