Bringing a horse back into work - advice please?

Jingleballs

Visit site
My cob hasn't been ridden since early august due to my pregnancy and I'm hoping to bring him back into work now that I've had the baby.

I've recently moved to a yard with nice hilly field and actually doesn't look too bad considering and his top line actually looks better than previous winters when he's had a short break.

In terms of bringing him back into work, where do I start?

I walked him on the lunge yesterday and was thinking of long lining him out on the roads which are nice and hilly and combining with lunging in the arena a couple of times a week.

When would I then be able to get back on board? He works much better under saddle and can be a bit lazy on the ground. I think in another couple of weeks I'll feel up to getting back in the saddle but don't want to rush him.

Also, want saddle fitter and physio to check him over but which should be first? Is it maybe best to get him working lightly before getting the physio?

Thanks!!

bonny

Visit site
I would just get back on as soon as you feel ready, since August is no time off really and within reason you could just take off where you left things then.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
When I brought my cob back in to work I had the checks done first, saddler and then chiro vet. His top line had really dropped off so I started by walking him on the roads for increasing distances and Long lining him. Once he was looking a bit better I started riding, just off the bridle at walk. I just built him up from there. Slowly building up distance and speed. Because of his lose of top line and his other problems I took my time. Upside of all that walking in hand was I lost a stone in weight!!!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Keep it simple for both of you especially if you have baby to think of too...

I would just go on as many hacks as you can and if you can't, then lunge perhaps and get some polework in. Nothing like having hills! Use them lots and build it up until you think you could both cope with a fast hack with lots of trotting and cantering over an hour and build it up from there. Should take you about 8 weeks.