Bringing a horse back into work

charlotte0916

Visit site
I’m after a bit of advice weighing up different options with my mare.
Due to needing treatment for grade 4 ulcers (found shortly after I brought her) and subsequently segueing into an injury in the field my ‘new’ 5yr old has now had 3 months off work. She’s due to be rescanned and hopefully cleared in 2.5 weeks time so I’m now looking to plan what my next steps are with her.

I’m currently organising instructor/physio/dentist/saddle fitter to come out as part of the back to work process but I’m on the fence with ‘how’ I bring her back in.

Would you
1. lunge/ideally long rein too for a couple of weeks then get back to it?
2. Ground work then hack then go from there like a baby again?
3. Get a professional out several times a week for a month.
3. Any other suggestions?

To be honest I’ve never lunged/longreined much previously bar a quick 5/10 mins to take the edge off one in winter so whilst I’m an experienced rider I’m somewhat overthinking the whole ‘bringing a baby into work’ process - I didn’t quite anticipate being here! Sending her away isn’t an option as she previously moved 3 x in a year and I’m pretty clear that contributed to the ulcers - she’s rather a stressy insecure type.

Advice very welcome!

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
Assuming she was well started and riding away nicely before her break, I'd just get back on and take her for a hack, in company if it'd make you feel better. I'd hack for a month, minimum.

I wouldn't take her in the school until she was stronger and fitter. Turns and circles on a surface with an unfit horse are liable to cause more issues.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
It depends on her specific injury, but I always think that straight line hacking in walk is the best place to start. Slowly increase the time she's ridden for, then progress to trotting for increasing time, then canter etc etc. I'd leave circles until she's had time to develop some 'straight line' muscle and increased her fitness to avoid reinjury. I'm a big fan of incorporating polework and eventually raised poles, at a walk in a straight line at first. Although it depends on her injury whether that's appropriate at the early stages or not!

If she's a stressy type I'd probably take things extra slow and make sure she's relaxed in the walk before progressing to trot etc etc.

Polos Mum

Visit site
very limited if any school work - IMHO

If you want to be really gentle what about leading her in hand around your usual hacking routes for a week or two - before getting on and doing the same route with a safe friend?

I led my unbroken boy around like a dog through the local housing estate for weeks and weeks until he found the whole thing pretty dull - then when I did the same from on board it was nothing really that different.

the old fashioned rule of thumb is that it takes as long as they have off to get back to being as fit as they were before the break. So close to 4 months of gently building things up before she is back to doing what she was before.

charlotte0916

Visit site
I'm not a fan of lunging an unfit horse and nor do I think long reining is particularly beneficial once they are already fully broken and going nicely.

I would just get on. That is assuming she was fully broken and going nicely.

Interesting, I get where you’re coming from with the lunging - I tend to use it as a tool rather than an exercise - but I guess in this instance I’m being a bit needlessly careful about the whole thing! She was going well before, I’m just used to riding 5/6yr olds that have felt like sitting on a nuclear warhead before coming back into work but to be fair she’s had 2 weeks off before and settled straight back to it without a problem.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Assuming she was well started and riding away nicely before her break, I'd just get back on and take her for a hack, in company if it'd make you feel better. I'd hack for a month, minimum.

I wouldn't take her in the school until she was stronger and fitter. Turns and circles on a surface with an unfit horse are liable to cause more issues.

I’m a big fan of hacking (in verbally but particularly with babies) so this seems like a sound approach to me. I think I’m overthinking it a bit after hitting the deck too many times with the last baby I rode!

charlotte0916

Visit site
It depends on her specific injury, but I always think that straight line hacking in walk is the best place to start. Slowly increase the time she's ridden for, then progress to trotting for increasing time, then canter etc etc. I'd leave circles until she's had time to develop some 'straight line' muscle and increased her fitness to avoid reinjury. I'm a big fan of incorporating polework and eventually raised poles, at a walk in a straight line at first. Although it depends on her injury whether that's appropriate at the early stages or not!

If she's a stressy type I'd probably take things extra slow and make sure she's relaxed in the walk before progressing to trot etc etc.

She got a kick in the field just below her elbow which caused a number of bone chips to come away - she’s since been on box rest/pen turnout/hand walking for 7 weeks to give them a chance to encapsulate. I’m a fan of poles too so I’m starting to think get on, hack with a buddy then reintroduce walk/trot/poles in the school after a few weeks.

charlotte0916

Visit site
very limited if any school work - IMHO

If you want to be really gentle what about leading her in hand around your usual hacking routes for a week or two - before getting on and doing the same route with a safe friend?

I led my unbroken boy around like a dog through the local housing estate for weeks and weeks until he found the whole thing pretty dull - then when I did the same from on board it was nothing really that different.

the old fashioned rule of thumb is that it takes as long as they have off to get back to being as fit as they were before the break. So close to 4 months of gently building things up before she is back to doing what she was before.

This might be an idea - particularly while she’s still on bromide for the box rest so less likely to do her best impression of a kite! We have a bit of an unfortunate situation at the yard we’re at currently (resulting in the injury and others) which means we’ll be moving around the time she comes off box rest, so it may be a good idea to get used to the hacking in hand for a while.

Antw23uk

Visit site
If she was good to hack i would long rein in the field or school for 3 days. Day off. Long rein with tack on for three days (if she is sensible i would go out) day off. Then if she was still keen, sane and sound i would get on and do a three on, one off ratio of gentle walking hacks for three weeks, gradually building up the length of time i was out hacking (no school!) and then decide if you want to up her schedule or carry on with walk work for a bit longer but just go further and longer.

Thats what i do when they have the winters off and come back into work. No schooling, six weeks walking hacks and then i up to trotting and a gentle reminder in the school.

Visit site
I don't get why people lunge for weeks on end before getting on the horse. It just gets them fitter and the broncing/messing about lasts longer!

I tend to find that it's not the weight on the back for the first time in a while that is the issue but the doing up of the girth. So maybe for a day or 2 before chuck her saddle or roller on and gradually do it up tight enough so that when you do get back on its not a shock to them.

ihatework

Visit site
How established was she before she was off work and what is her general temperament like?

In this situation with most ‘normal green but backed’ youngsters I’d work them following turnout, lunge lightly in tack for 3-5 mins just to get any potential high jinks out (but only for the first couple of days), then get on and hack out with a nanny. If they can cope unshod even better.

Auslander

Visit site
Another here for hopping on and getting on with walk hacking. I don't like lunging, particularly when they are young/unfit, so as long as she's a fairly civilised beast, I'd just be cracking on.
I leave the shoes off for a bit when starting babies/bringing bouncy ones back into work, as long as they aren't really footsore. I find they are less inclined to high jinks if they're a bit careful on their feet!

SOS

Visit site
Another who just gets on and builds up walk, then slowly introduces trot then canter, all in straight lines on roads/tracks/fields. Before I’d even consider lunging. I would school in the relevant pace to fitness maybe once a week over poles for a short time. Just to work on proprioception and get a bit of turning/suppleness in.

With the hunters that was 20 minutes a week doing serepentines, walking over poles, backing up and doing turns on the forehand/hindquarters. I called it gym day. Once up to cantering this would be a similar session but with quality over quantity. So lots of transitions in and between paces. Only once fit would I occasionally lunge them. Again this was lots of transitions (i aimed for 50 per session at least) rather than going round and round.

Seek out hills and make sure your horse is working correctly still (into the bridle, in front of leg) and you won’t take a step back by not going in the school for a few months.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice, it’s hugely helpful! She’s a bit of a funny mix - she was described as sharp to back but ridden is one of the quietest babies I’ve sat on. Over the course of box rest she’s box progressively sharper and spookier (understandably) but now at the point she scares herself spooking every 5 minutes at her own farts essentially.

I’m thinking I may start her off with just tacking up on the yard every couple of days until she’s back in work to get used to the idea of tack again. The ulcers made her hugely girthy too so that’s it’s own hump to get over.

From then I’m thinking the consensus is check if she seems so sharp she’ll dump me on contact - if so a bit of long reining out and about in straight lines. If not, pop on and walk hack in straight lines.

Hoping to build up gradually over the next few months all being well.

SOS

Visit site
Thank you all for the advice, it’s hugely helpful! She’s a bit of a funny mix - she was described as sharp to back but ridden is one of the quietest babies I’ve sat on. Over the course of box rest she’s box progressively sharper and spookier (understandably) but now at the point she scares herself spooking every 5 minutes at her own farts essentially.

I’m thinking I may start her off with just tacking up on the yard every couple of days until she’s back in work to get used to the idea of tack again. The ulcers made her hugely girthy too so that’s it’s own hump to get over.

From then I’m thinking the consensus is check if she seems so sharp she’ll dump me on contact - if so a bit of long reining out and about in straight lines. If not, pop on and walk hack in straight lines.

Hoping to build up gradually over the next few months all being well.

I think if you’re understandably a little cautious about getting straight on her do a bit of long lining out hacking/around your yard fields etc. Then I personally would get a pro out to do the first few rides if I was not 100% confident - mainly for the horses sake so they have a real good experience coming back. Get her off to a solid start then when you see she is fine you can get on with confidence. :)

Annagain

Visit site
Is she turned out again now? I'd be tempted to get her turned out 24/7 even if that means building it up from an hour or two while lightly sedated to start, before attempting to get on. With an older horse I know well, I would get (and have got ) straight back on from the stable but a youngster you've only ridden for a few months yourself is a different story. Once she's had a week out, then I'd think about starting to hack quietly.

ihatework

Visit site
Is there a reason why she is on box rest / being restarted from the box? Are you also dealing with a tendon or ligament issue?

If at all possible I’d turn her out for a couple of weeks before restarting, just to make your life easier - appreciate that might not be possible if you need strict controlled walking, in which case, if you suspect she will be silly I’d acp and lead or lead her off something potentially. I suppose you just have to go with your gut and vet instruction. What I absolutely wouldn’t do is lunge lots (or at all) if she is coming off box for a leg.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Is she turned out again now? I'd be tempted to get her turned out 24/7 even if that means building it up from an hour or two while lightly sedated to start, before attempting to get on. With an older horse I know well, I would get (and have got ) straight back on from the stable but a youngster you've only ridden for a few months yourself is a different story. Once she's had a week out, then I'd think about starting to hack quietly.

She’s currently turned out for 3 hours a day. Theoretically she could have more now even but it’s the constraint of needing to supervise her around work (while she’s at the current yard). It may be a good option to increase her turnout at the next yard prior to work in the hope of having a less teenage horse to deal with in general!

charlotte0916

Visit site
Is there a reason why she is on box rest / being restarted from the box? Are you also dealing with a tendon or ligament issue?

If at all possible I’d turn her out for a couple of weeks before restarting, just to make your life easier - appreciate that might not be possible if you need strict controlled walking, in which case, if you suspect she will be silly I’d acp and lead or lead her off something potentially. I suppose you just have to go with your gut and vet instruction. What I absolutely wouldn’t do is lunge lots (or at all) if she is coming off box for a leg.

We’ve got 4 bone chips from a kick. They’re currently lying alongside the collateral ligament/just below her elbow joint. The hope is with box rest that they’ll settle and stay there because surgery will involve cutting through the muscle around the elbow.

Funnily enough she’s got increasingly well mannered at leading (she was a cow when I got her) so that may be an option - particularly as she’s currently on a low dose of bromide to stop the rearing in her stable. I think turnout is sounding like an increasingly good option to take the edge off prior to work again!

coblets

Visit site
Given that you say she’s quite stressy, I’d be taking her for hacks in hand, then progressing to groundwork and long reining, and only then moving onto riding. Rebacking basically. This is an ideal opportunity to try reduce her stress about being ridden (I’m guessing she has some?) and in return reduce chance of ulcers in future.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Given that you say she’s quite stressy, I’d be taking her for hacks in hand, then progressing to groundwork and long reining, and only then moving onto riding. Rebacking basically. This is an ideal opportunity to try reduce her stress about being ridden (I’m guessing she has some?) and in return reduce chance of ulcers in future.

This is one of my concerns, she’s turned out to be quite a bit more of a handful than expected. I have already started doing some re-training with the idea of the saddle/girth ans she has improved so I think it may just be a slowly slowly approach with her.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
This is one of my concerns, she’s turned out to be quite a bit more of a handful than expected. I have already started doing some re-training with the idea of the saddle/girth ans she has improved so I think it may just be a slowly slowly approach with her.
I think you are better doing nothing than undoing something going wrong.
I’d move first, up the turnout significantly and then start with a hopefully calmer horse. Starting with groundwork first.