Bringing a horse into work that hasn't been ridden in 6yrs

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site
Does anyone have any advise for my friend?

She bought a mare 2 weeks ago who raced as a 2 yr old (once), bred 2 foals, and was then turned out. She hasn't been ridden in 6 years and I'm not sure if she was re schooled after racing.

My friend bought her from the field (she passed a 5* vetting) and now wants to bring her into ridden work. How does she go about this?

Personally I'd lead and long rein for a while. She has been lunging her and wants to start riding her this week.

Ideas please?

Thank you :)

gummybear

Visit site
Personally - I would start breaking as normal from scratch and treat the horse as if it had never had anything done with it before. Better to be cautious than just jump straight on.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Personally - I would start breaking as normal from scratch and treat the horse as if it had never had anything done with it before. Better to be cautious than just jump straight on.

ditto that way you don't make any assumptions about it's level of knowledge/training. It would treat it like a baby and break it in as such

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions and I agree. However my friend doesn't seem to be listening to my advice, or to anyone elses. How does one tactically tell someone they're doing it wrong?

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions and I agree. However my friend doesn't seem to be listening to my advice, or to anyone elses. How does one tactically tell someone they're doing it wrong?

Well you can say 'Tell me to butt out but I think to be safe you should do it like this....'

and if she ignores you and falls off you can follow that up with 'I told you so!' ;)

In all seriousness I would try to pass on a little friendly advice before any potential accidents even if it's not well received at least you will have tried :)

TPO

Visit site
Regardless of how bombproof/quiet/previously well schooled the horse was/is given that she's been turned away for 6yrs then I seriously doubt that within 2wks she has developed enough to carry a rider comfortably.

She should start with ground work and build up the duration and resistance i.e. tack. Only increase one thing at a time though; if increasing the resistance by adding tack then reduce the duration ditto when it comes to adding a rider. Also as work and fitness increases then her shape will change so regular saddle checks will be needed too.

Also since the horse is just coming in after 6yrs out then I’d want to ensure teeth, back, feet and saddle fit had all been done before starting any work. Given that she’s been a broodmare getting a physio/chiro out is a good idea; they can also help your friend with a plan for bringing the mare back into work. She might listen to a qualified outsider better?

I don’t know what you can say to get your friend round to your way of thinking. Some people just do what they want regardless of their horses comfort as depressing and disappointing as that is. Can you tell I’ve just cut contact with a “friend” for riding a very lame and uncomfortable horse!?

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site
Thank you for everyones's advice, she has decided that's it's best to listen to people with more experience than her :) So onwards and upwards with the horse from here :)