Bringing an old horse back into work

Cliqmo

Visit site
I will try to keep this brief!

26yr old 16.2hh ISH gelding retired from serious work 10yrs ago and was last ridden 2yrs ago. He was retired sound and only stopped being ridden because the 60yr old chap that owns him didn't want to ride anymore. He is still sound and spritely in himself but has zero fitness because of the amount of time off/his age.

Is it too late to bring him back into work for some gentle hacking? How on earth do you start to build fitness in a chap like this? It feels a bit wrong just to jump on him!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
The oldie here was still ridden until he was 33 - so at 26 he is still a spring chicken!! Admittedly he didn't have 2 years off during that but if I were you I would just do what you would with any horse - take it slowly and just start with short walks for maybe 10/15 minutes and slowly build it up - but would only walk for weeks to get him back into it without to much stress.

Good luck - hope you get on ok.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I bet he'll love having a job to do again! I'd start by walking him in hand out and about and even in the school. After a week or so of that, you could try sitting on him and just walk for 20 mins - see how he copes. After that just enjoy him! You won't be able to go for fast gallops and uphill he may need a rest halfway, but I expect your ned will tell you what he can and can't do. Make sure he has an appropriate feed so he's got the extra bit of energy he'll need for work.

One thing though: my 23 yr old is still in work but it has got increasingly impossible to find a saddle that fits. All saddles bridge on him. As horses age their muscle tone changes and gravity starts to affect their bodies. The effect of this is a sway back. Before you ride him, you'll need to make absolutely certain that his saddle still fits and doesn't rub badly at the front and back or he'll get more and more sore and won't enjoy his work at all x

Cliqmo

Visit site
Thanks, that is good to know! I have to admit I was slightly concerned I might be accused of being a troll as it is an uncommon query and people might think I'm demented!! It is just because the horse is absolutely great and it seems a shame to restrict him to the field/stable routine.

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Harvey (35+) and Flossie (27) are still going strong and we are all convinced it is because they were kept in work - it meant they had plenty of human contact and it has kept their joints mobile etc. As B_of_F has said they will let you know what they can and can't do - Harvey would still wiggle of on a sneaky canter until he was retired and was the star of the annual yard show last year when he won a gymkhana game! - and would do a little jump if he thought he could. Flossie (27) a TB and is still ridden but doesn't do anything more than trot.

Cliqmo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...One thing though: my 23 yr old is still in work but it has got increasingly impossible to find a saddle that fits....

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point! I will get that checked asap
laugh.gif