Bringing back into work - views

icestationzebra

Visit site
Wanted to gain some views about bringing a horse back into work following a period of box rest and some timescales.....

Let me explain :)

Horse was in full work and probably BE90 fit but short of a good canter or two. Let's start at Day 1 - XC schooling day where he scraped his knee. Not lame or stiff but gave him 4 days off (out all day in at night) as a precaution. Day 5 I worked him on the lunge to assess how he was moving and he spent the whole time squealing, bucking and messing about :( But he was clearly sound and feeling very very well. The following morning (Day 6) he had a fat leg :mad: looked sound, so turned him out. Leg had gone down that afternoon considerably but I wasn't happy with some swelling on the back of the leg so called the vet. Vet prescribed bute, box rest, bandages and twice daily icing and hosing and that she would return in 5 days and probably scan. Followed advice to the letter and leg was almost completely normal in a couple of days. Scanned on day 11 and all clear, but still a very small amount of fluid around the tendon sheath. So for next 7 days he was iced and hosed twice a day and walked out hand grazing each day - twice a day when I could. Day 18 (today) he was rescanned and everything looks completely normal. We've concluded that he bashed himself when messing about. Vet says crack on and get him back into work - suggested hacking (walk) for a week and then gradually picking up schooling etc. He had 11 days box rest in total.

So - having spent a lot of time on a rehab yard as a livery I was privy to lots of return to work plans, but a lot of the horses we had in had very long spells of box rest so I'm unfamiliar with a short period and how much it really affects them physically? Also wondered when you would jump for the first time? I had loosely planned a small (80cm) unaff for his first event this year on 29 May. Is it unrealistic to keep to this plan? It's no biggie if we miss it to be honest but seems silly to if he is going to be ok :confused:

Thoughts? Oh - and he had an hour in the field this evening and was squeaking whilst trying to eat he was so happy :)

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Firstly - glad the scan has come back all clear :D

Secondly - if he was mine and I was erring on the side of caution, I would be hacking in walk for up to 5 days (but if he's a fruit loop then I'd give him a jog), then upping that over a couple of days. Schooling introduced and built up the following week, back to jumping the week after.

I wouldn't see 11 days box rest as any reason to exercise massive caution, especially given that you've had the necessary checks done.

Yes I'd be happy to take him to an event at the end of May assuming all was well on the build up.

SnowGoose

Visit site
Fitness wise, in 18 days may have lost a little aerobic capacity but shouldn't have lost muscle, however if taking the next few weeks slowly his fitness may drop a little further. I would be tempted to take it slowly for first couple of weeks and monitor the injured area carefully, continue to hose after exercise etc. you could still do lots of schooling whilst hacking or in the arena at walk for the first week-10 days to help with dressage. If all looking ok would introduce trotting at 10 days then build to jumping at 4weeks. If all goes smoothly then 80cm ODE would be possible in 6 weeks as long as you're happy that he doesnt need lots of jumping/xc schooling prior to the event and prepared to take XC slowly as wouldn't be very fit. By 10 weeks if no further problems I'd expect him to be fit enough for BE80/90.

Last edited:

millitiger

Visit site
I'm quite a cautious person so I'd probably walk out hacking for a week or so, then another week walk and trot hacking and then look at introducing schoolwork for a week or two before jumping.

It's only 5 weeks to the ODE which, personally, would be too tight for me I think but it depends how he takes the build up in work and how much jumping/schooling he would need beforehand.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Firstly - glad the scan has come back all clear :D

Secondly - if he was mine and I was erring on the side of caution, I would be hacking in walk for up to 5 days (but if he's a fruit loop then I'd give him a jog), then upping that over a couple of days. Schooling introduced and built up the following week, back to jumping the week after.

I wouldn't see 11 days box rest as any reason to exercise massive caution, especially given that you've had the necessary checks done.

Yes I'd be happy to take him to an event at the end of May assuming all was well on the build up.

Thanks MM - more than anything I'm glad to be able to to turn him out again - he was driving me nuts!! Getting on board tonight and I'm excited to be riding again - will see how the next 2 weeks go before giving the ODE any consideration :)

icestationzebra

Visit site
Fitness wise, in 18 days may have lost a little aerobic capacity but shouldn't have lost muscle, however if taking the next few weeks slowly his fitness may drop a little further. I would be tempted to take it slowly for first couple of weeks and monitor the injured area carefully, continue to hose after exercise etc. you could still do lots of schooling whilst hacking or in the arena at walk for the first week-10 days to help with dressage. If all looking ok would introduce trotting at 10 days then build to jumping at 4weeks. If all goes smoothly then 80cm ODE would be possible in 6 weeks as long as you're happy that he doesnt need lots of jumping/xc schooling prior to the event and prepared to take XC slowly as wouldn't be very fit. By 10 weeks if no further problems I'd expect him to be fit enough for BE80/90.

Thanks SG! come and see him - he is much a happier pony now he is allowed out of his cell!
He will hack every day for 10 days and I'll take it from there. Thanks for the tip about hosing after work - I shall do that :)

icestationzebra

Visit site
I'm quite a cautious person so I'd probably walk out hacking for a week or so, then another week walk and trot hacking and then look at introducing schoolwork for a week or two before jumping.

It's only 5 weeks to the ODE which, personally, would be too tight for me I think but it depends how he takes the build up in work and how much jumping/schooling he would need beforehand.

I am too MT - the equestrian equilvalent of Captain Slow that's me :rolleyes: I will take each day at a time and see how we get on. I'm not complaining, I'm just grateful he wasn't injured. Seeing the architecture of the leg that sits behind 3mm of skin makes you realise how fragile they are :(

anna22

Visit site
Just be sensible, monitor the injured area carefully as afore mentioned and start slowly and steady. Good luck and let us know! :)

Horsemad12

Visit site
I would back what M_M says.

As long as there are no underlying issues then he will have not lost much fitness. They "say" they can stand in a stable for 2 weeks and not lose fitness but I would not quite go that far personally!!!

I think the gentle work your vet suggests will get him moving again and if everything looks OK I would have a second easy week building up the work and then straight back into it.

I would be more than happy if everything goes to plan work wise to do a small event at the end of May (if it is the event I am guessing you are doing it will be flat anyway).

Good luck - looks like your walking will be fun!

icestationzebra

Visit site
I would back what M_M says.

As long as there are no underlying issues then he will have not lost much fitness. They "say" they can stand in a stable for 2 weeks and not lose fitness but I would not quite go that far personally!!!

I think the gentle work your vet suggests will get him moving again and if everything looks OK I would have a second easy week building up the work and then straight back into it.

I would be more than happy if everything goes to plan work wise to do a small event at the end of May (if it is the event I am guessing you are doing it will be flat anyway).

Good luck - looks like your walking will be fun!

Thanks HM12 - yes you are right - it is flat and relatively short. I'll take each day as it comes but this evening could be lively - apparently when you have been incarcerated for so long the outside world is an exciting place :rolleyes: