Bringing back into work

Lilybobs

New User
Visit site
Wondering if the collective wisdom of HHO could help me out! Pony has been off games for various reasons since November, firstly I broke my elbow in November which didn't heal well so we had a winter holiday until after Christmas. She was turned out in a hilly field in that time and did some lunging over poles but otherwise she's a bit sensitive so I didn't want anyone else getting on board. She then ended up with a twisted ankle which took a long while to clear up, and only just has after 5 weeks, in the meantime, her opposite leg was showing signs on swelling, which I am hopeful was just a case of too much strain avoiding the duff foot. Obviously I'm keeping an eye on the potentially unexplained swelling, but if she's been on the walker for a good 5-6 weeks as that was the only thing keeping the leg normal sized, I'm a bit unclear about just how slowly I need to be taking it bringing her back. Frankly she feels as fit as a fiddle and needs a good gallop to get the fizz out of her brain. Turn out is limited and the last thing I want is another explosion, so she isn't going out yet either, I'll probably give her a good dollop of sedaline when I do, but in the mean time she does need hacking.

Would would HHO do? 4 weeks of walking then adding in 5 mins of trot seems a bit overkill when I'm itching to get her brain active again. I'm obviously happy to do that if needs be, the last thing I want for her is more time off, but how will I know what she needs? For my fizzy brain I feel like I need to know when I should be thinking about a lesson, or a prelim test, or anything!!!

PS, yes she is chestnut.
PPS, yes she is a TB.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Would would HHO do? 4 weeks of walking then adding in 5 mins of trot seems a bit overkill when I'm itching to get her brain active again. I'm obviously happy to do that if needs be, the last thing I want for her is more time off, but how will I know what she needs? For my fizzy brain I feel like I need to know when I should be thinking about a lesson, or a prelim test, or anything!!! .

I would walk and walk and walk, then very slowly add trot in. Its really not overkill. They can feel fit as a fiddle because their brains are, but it doesnt mean their bodies are. The need to get the fizz out will go once shes turned out and I would do that sedated if I thought she was going to be sharp. Then theres lots of things you can do to occupy her mind but not over tax her body.

She sounds like she has soundness issues, some of which arent diagnosed, so its even more important to take it slow. I'd look up a hunter fittening program then double the time they suggest. There is no harm at all in taking it very, very slowly, but there is lots of harm that could be done taking to too fast. Take a long term view. 3 months of steady fittening right now will pay dividends going forward :)

Destario

Visit site
My actual pony had 5 weeks off and then a week of lunging gently after physio in w/t/c. He was very fit before and was a pulled muscle. He's back under saddle and has had one 20 min little school in the arena mainly walk with a bit of trot and canter. He's hacking now with walk and trotting up hills (though we did have a charge canter because trotting is boring the first day for a bit until he calmed down and returned to walk!). He is a pony though and seems to pick fitness up very quickly. The physio also recommended the trot work as we need to strengthen the right quarter up shapish to help straighten him up and build up from the injury. I've noticed his stamina is a down a bit but he's not sweating up so I don't think he lost too much. He's also out overnight.
With a not pony though I'd be doing lots of walk work then introduce short bursts of trot and I'd incorporate some school work as well to help with straightness and lateral fitness - you can do lots in walk - nothing worse in my mind that fittening a horse up purely on hacks and ending up with a plank and no lateral fitness. Trotting up hills is excellent once you've done your couple of walk weeks. Keep an eye on the injuries and take it slow. Also consider walking with a good contact and outline, I know my boy trails his backend if left on a loose rein so has to work in a frame to use his back, especially the lumbar region otherwise he gets tight and all the walk work is a bit pointless for building the right muscle. He also feels the weakness more and occasionally is a bit pathetic with the leg unless he's working properly (happened when I got him and fittened him up last year). But he's welsh and would rather do all the work with his front end!

KautoStar1

Visit site
I'm not sure if it's the OP or her imaginary unicorn that has the fizzy head.
Personally I wouldn't bother with any fittening work and scrap the idea of a prelim test, it's the Grand National on Saturday so just get entered for that.

popsdosh

Visit site
I would hold off till saturday( very important) and give her some short sharp canters as that will help speed up the recovery.