Bringing injured horses back into work - HELP (also in NL)

Emshad

Visit site
Hi guys,

Last year my boy fractured his pedal bone pretty badly and had it casted/rested for months etc, turnout under sedation for 30mins per day etc all the usual over the last 8 months. We were told at the beginning of Jan (after re-x-rays and lameness exams at the practice that he still has a tiny almost hairline like fracture line but this shouldn’t affect him as cartilages, tissues etc are holding everything together and to still see a small line on x-ray is common with this type of injury (he still also has an egg bar show fitted which will stay on for the next year).

After having around 10 days of solid snow and ice as a set back (grrr!) I started bringing him back into work slowly about 2-3 weeks ago. The question however is I find him to be a little short still on this leg (left hind) and was wondering (for anyone who has had experience of this) if this was pretty normal?? When bringing the horse/pony back into work???

Vets have said that he will be short on some days, but the good will eventually outweigh the bad, and to bring him back into work treating him as an “unfit” horse. I realise this but feel bad! To be slightly more specific he isn’t lame and weight bares fully on the leg etc he just seems and feels pretty stiff/short in the small trot stages of the little work he is currently doing. Any experiences (with any injury really not just pedal) would be much appreciated! Also vet is booked to come up In the middle of March for lameness exam (at my request to put my mind at rest) Many Thanks xxxxxx

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I'm afraid I don't have any experience relating to the specific type of injury your poor boy has suffered, but when mine was coming back into work after a fair bit of time off, the vet suggested I keep a diary and noted a) what work was done and b) how she felt during/after.

Regarding the shortness, he could just still need to build up muscle again fully on the leg as it will have suffered the most muscle wastage?

Hope he's back to 100% asap.
smile.gif

It helps if you have problems a day or two later as you can look back to see if three was something you did out of the ordinary that may have triggered it. Or can spot patterns etc. I still use my diary over a year later as it's handy to keep track of what we're up to, how she's feeling etc.

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
My horse fractured his off hind pedal bone on 2nd January 2009, he also did a proper job on his, a crack right the way up the front. I had it xrayed and finally got back on him at the end of October, but only did a tiny amount with him for the first few months. This was him the first time I got back on him.

I just had front shoes on him and mainly walked with a little trotting round the fields up until Christmas. Then I had shoes on him all round and began some roadwork. He still felt stiff in trot, but the more I have done, the better he has become. He still starts off quite stiff trotting, so then I bring him back to walk for a bit and then trot again and he is usually much much better when I trot for the second time. I have started doing some cantering with him now and popped some small jumps and so far so good! PM me if you want to ask any questions.

Emshad

Visit site
FigJam your right - i didnt think this, I have also broken my leg before a few years ago and the amount of wastage I had on my calf was ridiculous so it must be the same for horses. What a fantastic Idea re diary I will start one from today! At the mo I am really trying the find the right balance of what works for him and what doesnt.

oofadoofa - That video is so helpful - I do sometimes feel that he gets better the more thats done and he has many walk break in between the short bursts of trot. How is your boy now with regards to stifness>? and how long approx did it take for him to loosen more, weeks or months i guess? i just hope and pray with slightly more work he will become looser as you said - sorry lots of Qs i will pm you when i get in from work
smile.gif
xxxx Thanks again

charlie55

Visit site
Jack done a ligament in his stifle so its a completley different type of injury, but, ive just started walking him inhand before i get and he was still not right on his back end, took him to the vets again and it turned out it was all muscle. He was very short behind. Had back lady out and he had over used his 'good' side while he was recovering which caused tight/pulled muscles. Since i have had this dealt with, it has made a huge difference.

Didnt know if this could have maybe happened for your boy or something similar??

magic14339

Visit site
It could be that his proprioception of the affected leg as changed as he will have developed a different movement pattern due to the lameness and immobility. He may well need to learn that it no longer hurts. Working over varying surfaces often helps with this :)