Bringing injured horses back into work - HELP

Emshad

Visit site
Hi guys,

Last year my boy fractured his pedal bone pretty badly and had it casted/rested for months etc, turnout under sedation for 30mins per day etc all the usual over the last 8 months. We were told at the beginning of Jan (after re-x-rays and lameness exams at the practice that he still has a tiny almost hairline like fracture line but this shouldn’t affect him as cartilages, tissues etc are holding everything together and to still see a small line on x-ray is common with this type of injury (he still also has an egg bar show fitted which will stay on for the next year).

After having around 10 days of solid snow and ice as a set back (grrr!) I started bringing him back into work slowly about 2-3 weeks ago. The question however is I find him to be a little short still on this leg (left hind) and was wondering (for anyone who has had experience of this) if this was pretty normal?? When bringing the horse/pony back into work???

Vets have said that he will be short on some days, but the good will eventually outweigh the bad, and to bring him back into work treating him as an “unfit” horse. I realise this but feel bad! To be slightly more specific he isn’t lame and weight bares fully on the leg etc he just seems and feels pretty stiff/short in the small trot stages of the little work he is currently doing. Any experiences (with any injury really not just pedal) would be much appreciated! Also vet is booked to come up In the middle of March for lameness exam (at my request to put my mind at rest) Many Thanks xxxxxx

Flicker

Visit site
Hi just bringing my boy back into work following stifle injury 2 months ago. We started with straight lines in the school after 5 weeks complete rest / walking in hand, gradually building up into loopy circles / hacking then trot in straight lines for a few steps.
Yes, he has his good days and bad days but instructor, vet and OH (doctor) have all said that the gentle movement will do him more good than being stood in. Had the vet out today and he is happy for us to up the workload to 'proper' work and keep a close eye on him. You are doing the right thing getting the vet back out for peace of mind.
At least yours has been able to go out - my boy has been on box rest for 2 months and it was fun getting back on!!

Alibear

Visit site
My lads problems have been more muscle than bone but a physio session has helped him a lot. He's still got an odd action but it's improved so going to keep up monthly physio visits.
Could be worth a go?

Emshad

Visit site
Alibear - good idea, i did think of physio sessions to help, and my trainer has a brilliant one so will also try this route only thing like you said is its a bone isuue rather than muscular but it can only be good.

Flicker yes I was lucky i could turn him out before even attempting to get on! also had to wait about a week for saddler to re flock the saddle to his new (no topline) shape and dentist so he had a good few days T/O before i sat on him, still had a few bronks but i would NOT have fancied getting on without any turnout lol - you are v brave lolxxx