Bringing mare back into work after weaning

_jetset_

Visit site
I only have 24 days to work out a fitness plan for Hannah (can you tell I am excited about her coming home!!!). She was last schooled when she was 6 months in foal, so has now had around 12 months out of work. I have ridden her three times since she had Troy, and there was no problems whatsoever other than that he wanted to jump on top of her with me
smile.gif
Needless to say, we did not do much after this
blush.gif

So, please can someone give me any time scales I should be looking at to bring her back into work. She is having her shoes back on pretty much as soon as she comes home (she has been dreadful without them) and I will ride her as soon as possible to get her moving as she will turnout but shorter periods to begin with as I do not think she will be quick enough to get out of the way of the others mares just now (there has been a new mare added so the herd is very unsettled at the moment).

Thanks,

Rebecca x x x

Enfys

Visit site
I have always treated mares coming back after weaning the same as I would any really unfit horse, slow and steady. I can't remember what the books say, but bringing hunters up for the season we used to look at between 6-8 weeks depending on the horse.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
The last mare on the yard that we did this with was done, as Enfys says, just like the hunters. Although she came to hand very quickly as she is a naturaly forward and previously very fit horse.

From weaning to hunting was about 7 weeks. A bit quick for some perhaps, but ok for this mare.

_jetset_

Visit site
But what sort of work?

To be honest, I think Hannah will take less than some because she really enjoys her work and puts her all into it. She dragged me to the school (literally) when I took her in with Troy and was so pleased to be back under saddle
smile.gif

christine48

Visit site
Be careful, just because she's willing don't be tempted to do too much too soon or you'll be pulling a tendon or something. I thought you asked this question a while ago.
I'd do 6 weeks walking gradually increasing in length of time. Then the same with trotting.
I rode my mare last winter (as she wasn't in foal at the time). She had been retired for 4 years and followed a similar regime without problem.

_jetset_

Visit site
I did, but didn't get many replies and didn't pursue it because it was soooo long to go
smile.gif

How time flies...

I can walk her no problems because she hacks out well and we have lots of hills etc around where she is stabled. However, with the nights closing in I obviously have to be careful how long I am out for and what time I set off.

I know you can not do any harm by just walking, and she does run around quite a bit when in the field (well, she did before going to stud and living out) because she has 'Hannah' moments which are quite amusing
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I will do when she comes back into work... I only did unaffil dressage up to elementary before she was put into foal, so would like to affiliate her when she is fit as she is more than capable.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Mo was not out of work as long as your mare, but her was in walk work 6wks after foaling for 15mins (hardly worth tacking up). This was built upto 20mins, then 30mins with short trot work. She is now fit enough for a 40-60min lesson, which includes canter work. But as everyone has said it wont be any different to bringing any horse back into work after a long break. You need to start of steady, just walking & the process normally takes 6-8wks.

magicgirl

Visit site
Make sure that you get her back checked before you start your ridden work as it is amazing how many mares put their backs out foaling.