Bringing new horse to new yard

Machaelaj

Visit site
Hi everyone
I’ve bought a new horse and he’s arriving on 4th May.
I jsur had some questions regarding everyone’s opinion on bedding
He’s a 16.3 tb 5yr old
Not sure how he keeps his bed

I was thinking of doing base layer wood pellets and then shavings on top.
What’s everyone’s cost effective bedding

Caski

Visit site
How is he kept now? I always like to keep change to a minimum, moving house is quite an upheaval for him. Anything to avoid stress for him/you will be of great benefit I have found.

Congratulations and you must post pics - it is almost a house rule!🐴

Caski

Visit site
OP, might be worth asking his current owner as there may be a reason for him to be on straw - we had a pony who ate shavings, I kid you not !
Secondly it is always good to have a record of his current stable/daily routine, whilst it might not be your preference now, changes can be made with less risk of problems - bet you are counting the days until he arrives!!!

Machaelaj

Visit site
OP, might be worth asking his current owner as there may be a reason for him to be on straw - we had a pony who ate shavings, I kid you not !
Secondly it is always good to have a record of his current stable/daily routine, whilst it might not be your preference now, changes can be made with less risk of problems - bet you are counting the days until he arrives!!!
Definitely counting the days!! Thank you for the advice on that shavings thing, had no idea they could eat shavings😂😂

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use wood pellets and shavings I literally put some where my horses wee then lay shavings I don't have mats so the beds are quite thick, mine are mainly out so it totally depends how often I need to take the wet out I can leave it a few weeks if they hardly come in, it really saves on shavings and stops the wet coming through so quickly I really like it.

I can't stand straw 😄

Machaelaj

Visit site
I use wood pellets and shavings I literally put some where my horses wee then lay shavings I don't have mats so the beds are quite thick, mine are mainly out so it totally depends how often I need to take the wet out I can leave it a few weeks if they hardly come in, it really saves on shavings and stops the wet coming through so quickly I really like it.

I can't stand straw 😄
See that’s what I’m feeling, I used to work as a groom and straw is my nightmare😂😂 and I can only really do a full muck out at weekends, he’d be out all day and only in at night so weighing up my options as don’t wanna change lots for him

Pinkvboots

Visit site
See that’s what I’m feeling, I used to work as a groom and straw is my nightmare😂😂 and I can only really do a full muck out at weekends, he’d be out all day and only in at night so weighing up my options as don’t wanna change lots for him
If You have have a thick bed with plenty of pellets underneath that would work, I often put a bit of clean shavings in between mucking out so it stays really clean.