Bringing on an ex racer to jump?

Spotndot268

Visit site
Hi! I’m looking to view an ex racer tomorrow who ran only a few times over hurdles. She’s been in retraining for a year doing 50/60cm events. I want to bring her on to showjump, maybe event, at 1m, higher if possible but just depends on her comfort zone! I’ve heard people say ex hurdlers are taught to jump flat so I was wondering peoples experience with this? Will it be a sensible idea? Mare definitely has scope but obviously doesn’t have a picture perfect bascule, but nothing too flat! How smooth sailing did training go, how long did it take to get to this level etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking to compete at about 80cm for the rest of this year which the horse is very capable of doing, but understandably they haven’t rushed her. Want to hear about everyone’s experiences and tips, thank you :)

Dopeydapple

Visit site
My ex racer was also a hurdler, she came with a few mental and physical issues so we spent 12 months just cracking the basics in her flat work, then another 6-8 months improving that before we moved onto jumping, I'd say that break from jumping and time spent flat schooling really changed how she did things so we never had an issue with her trying to "hurdle" fences. If she's spent 12 months being reschooled properly then I wouldn't think you would have any issues.