Bristol/N.Somerset peeps - RS recommendations?

Broodle

Visit site
I seem to only post to ask for RS recommendations these days (sorry!), but this is the final time - promise - as I am finally settled down after a long period of moving about the country.

I live in Bedminster in South Bristol. Can anyone recommend a good RS nearby, for some 'improver' lessons? Preferably south of Bristol and north of the Mendips, but have a car so distance not too great an issue. Somewhere that does private evening lessons would be ideal - not so keen on group lessons.

Many thanks in advance folks!

K
grin.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
Clevedon Riding Stables and Event Horses is fab, the ponies are lovely, i rode and helped there for years, they don't only have plods, but also some quite wizzy horses!

i'm sure they do private lessons, groups are cheaper though... Jenny is a really good teacher, Sandras good too, went round Badminton and is very strict
wink.gif
we used to live just outside bedminster
tongue.gif

there's also Gordano stables, Urchinwood Manor and the one outside Blaize Castle (king's something) but Clevedon was the friendliest, and had the fairest prices.

MendipMagician

Visit site
Another good place is Shipham Riding its about 20 mins from bristol and has excellent hacking, stright on to the mendips with little road work plus lovely horses, i learnt to ride there and am still going 12 years later!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I went regularly to the one just off the Gordano roundabout (I think it is the Gordano riding school). I really liked it there - atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. there is even a bar/club house for sitting around and chatting after your lesson. Horses were fun, teachers were pleasant and they do hacking as well. I felt it was geared towards pleasure riders who want to enjoy horses as they do pub rides, mini XC in the field in summer and you can stay afterwards and help put the ponies to bed. Would recommend.

also went to Urchinwood for a private 'stage 1 prep' lesson. The teaching standard was very high and the facilites were good (decent XC course, 2 schools etc) but it had much more of a serious/business atmosphere, clients weren't encouraged to hang around and help with their horse afterwards for example. More pricey as well but this is reflected in the size of the venue, variety/standard of horses etc.

Depends what you want though, I would say both places had their good points.