British Breeding- Where is the largest market and customer base?

Rachel_M

Visit site
For the breeders, and the buyers as well; what is the largest market in breeding at the moment in Britain? Natives, TBs, sport horses, cobs, etc? Which areas tend to have the most demand and turnover?

Thanks [breeding numpty].
smile.gif

Rollin

Visit site
Great question. Whilst British Breeding gets slagged I wonder if anyone knows the answer.

However, important to distinguish between volume market share i.e. units sold and revenue market share value of units sold.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
That's actually not that hard to check!
Go on HH, horsemart/horsequest etc and see which section has the most horses for sale...it's very illuminating to see how many event horses/all rounders etc appear in the same sections twice.
I would say from my experience the biggest market (ie the number of calls I get per advert when advertising a horse) are for the 16 hh 4 to 8 years safe sane, good looking middleweight all rounder, who is traffic prood, good in every way and popping a small course sensibly.
Whenever we have one of those the phone rings non stop and there are often a quue of people waiting to view even at a decent price.
As for highest price I think proven event/dressage/SJ command the best prices, it's normal for a schoolmaster event horse to go for around £40k.
I know of people paying £100k for an imported dressage schoolmaster.

Rollin

Visit site
Your response supports my 'gut feel' but if I were writing a business plan or writing a thesis, I would be required to provide empirical data to support claims.

i don't think that sort of accurate data is available to UK breeders?

I am happy to be proved wrong.

Rachel_M

Visit site
I was wondering whether there was any date as such. Do any of the large breed or discipline societies collate and release information like that?

Does anyone take note?