British Eventing Membership Please Help!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
OK well having tried (and still failed) to join BS, I am now trying (and failing) to join BE......

The prices make no sense. I can't see a simple list ANYWHERE that tells you what you need and how much it all is.

It looked from the website that you could buy an annual 'day' membership for £10 and each day pass was £25. And you could compete up to 4 times. So if I just did that and ran 4 times, my membership for the year would be £110? Seemed pretty good but I was keen to compete 5-6 times. (I've got 6 events targeted. 1 a month April - Sept) But I could skip a couple if that saved me loads of money. Knowing horses at least 1 event wouldn't happen anyway.....

Then I looked into full membership - £130 a year. The extra £20 is seemed worth paying to have unlimited options, so I bought that.

Then I tried to enter Kelsall and was told I need a ticket again. I had assumed my membership meant I could now enter events.

Registering Amber for the season appears to be £95 so suddenly my £130 is now £225 which is a little less attractive.

So I am wondering whether to go back to plan A and just run 4 times on a Day pass. I have 14 days to cancel my membership. But am worried that new fees will pop up when I try to enter an event! Does AMBER also need a ticket/day pass/membership whichever way I do it? Or can I pay the £10 fee, buy a pass for £25 and then enter us both in a BE Event without oither fees. (Apart from entry fees of course).

Why can't they just tell you what you need in a clear and transparent way? You can event without the horse so why can't they tell you what the cost is upfront instead of having to enter (and pay) for everything separately?

Any advice before I cancel my membership would be greatly appreciated.

(And breathe.....)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The societies have always split horse and rider membership so that a rider can compete multiple registered horses.

For be you either buy an annual membership for both rider and horse, or you buy a day ticket for both rider and horse.

So simplest for you would probably be to buy a full membership for you and a season ticket for Amber. Otherwise you will have to buy a day ticket for each of you each time you want to compete.

AandK

Visit site
If you want to do more than 4 events at BE90/100 in the season then best you keep the membership for you, as day tickets are limited to 4 for a rider per season. There are no limits for horses.
If you do 4 or less then you need to get day pass membership at £10, then day tickets for you both which is £25 if you buy them at the same time, or £16 separately. Once you both have a ticket the other costs are your entry fee and start fee.
ETA the plus of getting your horse a season ticket is you get a ballot number for each month, and two super ballots. Day/training tickets are first to go in a ballot unless you offer to help.

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
If you want to for 4 events day tickets are much cheaper. But you will be balloted first in the event of over subscription. You can volunteer to beat the ballot in a lot of cases!

Being a member is more expensive, but you’re less likely to get balloted. You have ballot stickers every month and two super ballots.

coss

Visit site
LGM can you explain the "volunteer to beat the ballot"? please - I am hoping to get to 1 or 2 events this year and am pleased someone else has asked about membership. I was aware of the day passes/ticket but hadn't looked far into it. I literally only have 2 events I'd possibly like to do so wouldn't be joining as a full member. I have volunteered at one of the events for at least 8 years and would like to ride at it this year. I've also volunteered at several other events but I don't know how my volunteering was registered if at all!

LittleGreyMare

Visit site
LGM can you explain the "volunteer to beat the ballot"? please - I am hoping to get to 1 or 2 events this year and am pleased someone else has asked about membership. I was aware of the day passes/ticket but hadn't looked far into it. I literally only have 2 events I'd possibly like to do so wouldn't be joining as a full member. I have volunteered at one of the events for at least 8 years and would like to ride at it this year. I've also volunteered at several other events but I don't know how my volunteering was registered if at all!

I’ve only done it twice (I offered to help, my sister competed my horse), but I would put a note on your entry and/or send an email that you’ve helped for 8 years and it could help your case of an entry. It might not, but you would def have a better chance. Volunteers are highly regarded!

JDH01

Visit site
The volunteering thing is a great and b really works at over subscribed events and you are giving something back and get a very different perspective. Without it most be events wouldn't run. BE is expensive but you can guarantee a safe correctly fixed course which you can't a lot of us events.

AandK

Visit site
If you want to for 4 events day tickets are much cheaper. But you will be balloted first in the event of over subscription. You can volunteer to beat the ballot in a lot of cases!

Being a member is more expensive, but you’re less likely to get balloted. You have ballot stickers every month and two super ballots.

Just to clarify, ballot numbers are for the horse, not the rider, you only get them with a horse season ticket.

coss

Visit site
Just to clarify, ballot numbers are for the horse, not the rider, you only get them with a horse season ticket.

so... If I wanted to do one BE event I would need a day pass for me and horse (separately)? Plus entry fee? i'm so confused and would that be with or without a ballot number?

lannerch

Visit site
Yes that’s right you would need two day passes one for you and one for the horse and because you are not a member and the horse is not registered no ballot number.

coss

Visit site
Yes that’s right you would need two day passes one for you and one for the horse and because you are not a member and the horse is not registered no ballot number.

thank you - will think about it nearer the time but at least that's clearer than the BE site!

AandK

Visit site
so... If I wanted to do one BE event I would need a day pass for me and horse (separately)? Plus entry fee? i'm so confused and would that be with or without a ballot number?

If buying any pass you need day pass membership, which is £10. If doing BE80 then you need a training pass which is £15 and is for you and the horse. If you do BE90/100 (not sure if you can do Nov on a ticket?) you will need a day pass each, if you buy them at the same time it is £25 for both, or if you buy separate you pay £16 each. With either option, there are no ballot numbers. Then you pay your entry fee as usual when you enter, and the start fee on the day.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm now a member and Amber has a season ticket. Hurrah! Now just need to enter something!! I don't think I can get to Kelsall after all :-(