British Eventing Team 2007 - who do we think will be on it?

Whispa

Visit site
Ok so its very early to be thinking about this, especially as its only January and we have 2 months till the eventing season starts again!, But what do you all think? Will we see the same lineup as last year or will we see some new combinations on this years' European team???

Personally (subject to fit and sound horses and riders, and none of them doing anything daft at the Spring Three-Days!) I think the selectors will play safe and choose the 6 out of William Fox-Pitt, Zara Phillips, Mary King, Daisy Dick, Olly Townend and Sharon Hunt, and possibly Pippa Funnell if Primmore's Pride is back fit and sound, and proves himself again in competition (anyone know how he is by the way? There's been no real mention of him since being dropped from last year's team last June/July).

What do the rest of you think?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
It will be interesting to see how Cressie Clague Reading gets on at Badminton if another good run at 4* then I think she will be in with a shout after a superb Burghley.
Call again Cavalier will be 14/15 not sure whether he will be in it as not 100% reliable even though he is a good horse and Mary is very experienced. I think Ollie Townend will be promoted to team as usually a very good dressage even though he blew up at WEG. Again will be interesting to see him at 4* again.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I've not been told anyone yet.
So my guess is WFP with Bally not Tamarillo as he is getting naughty now.
Zara
Daisy Dick
Ollie
Sharon

But who knows so others may impress at the 4* this season. They're also be looking for some young blood for the olympics, next year.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Maybe not naughty but definitely cheeky. He's choosing to run-out, buck etc rather than play nicely. But WFP might of sorted that now. He is also getting older now, maybe he doesn't want to play anymore.

Weezy

Visit site
Sounds like another horse I know
tongue.gif
Would love to know WFPs take on it

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Tamarillo is getting naughtier he did more competitive outings in 2006 than he has done for a long time and still he is naughty. When he is on form he is hard to beat and I think far more worth the risk than Ballincoola.
If everything stays sound GB should have tonnes of choice as Europeans are only 3* level.

lorenababbit

Visit site
i should be surprised if the team changes much at all from WEG unless of course Pippa gets another ride or P P makes a return. I hear he is in work tho so who knows. As for Tam, i think the Arab Prince would still be WFP first choice though even owner was a little tired of the Beloved Tam's sense of humour last year!!

eventergirl87

Visit site
I really quite like the look of Jennettes Burley Wood (came 12th at burghley) thinking bout JB over to you is still aimmed at 4* next year...... and what a great member he's been, was a real shame he was just a 2nd reseave.

Personally I think Olli should be a team member next year....... and what a good team member he will make.

so i hope......
olli
WFP
Zara
mary
and id really like to see JB bk with either one

Iestyn

Visit site
As above really but would like to think Laura Fortune and her horse Hallo Again would be in with a shout if he stays sound thru the spring events.

teapot

Visit site
Last I read regarding Primmore's Pride was that he'd responded very well to think it was stem cell threapy on the the tendon and was looking/going very well.

Think team will be - WFP, not sure on ride though; Zara - again though, depends entirely on TT's show jumping. Daisy Dick will feature as she's got 2 good top horses, poss 3; Mary - stalwart of BE really, and she's got Apache Sauce at Advanced level, withdrew after dressage at Burghley

Then there's Ollie Townend, Matt Wright - had a good 06 season, Polly Jackson if her yard's back on top form

Think 07 is going to be one of the years where the younger ones come through.

Oh and who knows with Jeanette and Over to You

welshchick

Visit site
Uh-huh, I thought Cressida looked good at Burghley. Think Carousel Quest is going to be her horse of a lifetime. Badminton's going to be his second 4*, though.

I expect the selectors to choose

Will Fox-Pitt - Tamarillo or Ballincoola. I wonder if the selectors are thinking about Parkmore Ed and Idalgo as well?

Zara Phillips - I don't think the selectors will worry about TT's showjumping as they didn't last season.

Daisy Dick - has got two fantastic horses! Love them.

Mary King - Call Again Cavalier's really good, but can be a bit unlucky, unfortunately. Perhaps the selectors will give Cashel Bay or Apache Sauce a chance?

Oliver Townend - expect him to be a reliable GB rider for many years to come.

Others -

Pippa Funnell, Jeanette Brakewell, Cressida Clague Reading, Sharon Hunt, Matthew Wright, Sarah Cohen and Polly Jackson.

sylvapak

Visit site
what about kitty? shes got coup de couer... not sure whether five boys will be up and running again for the start of the season... but could be done. i recon shes quite capable of giving everyone a run for their money!

lorenababbit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Will Fox-Pitt - Tamarillo or Ballincoola. I wonder if the selectors are thinking about Parkmore Ed and Idalgo as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I expec they will take william on a rocking horse if he has nothing else.

sylvapak

Visit site
yeh shes got imperial master and kings crosss too but they are at 2* levelish at the moment.

would be nice to see her back on that team but thats me being biased :p

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Zara Phillips - I don't think the selectors will worry about TT's showjumping as they didn't last season.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did trust me. It was touch and go whether he was they were going to stay on the team.

lorenababbit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They did trust me. It was touch and go whether he was they were going to stay on the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you for absolute certain there was no way Zara wasnt going to WEG if the horse was fit and well and if it is it will go to Pratoni. They couldtalk about it as much as they liked but to leave out the reigning european champ who happens to be royalty would have been a PR disaster. Why do you think she was shortlisted for Athens when everyone knew the horse was damaged at that point.

Irishcobs

Visit site
That may be true I didn't ask. I know at one stage more than one selector where seriously thinking about booting her out.

welshchick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Others -

Pippa Funnell, Jeanette Brakewell, Cressida Clague Reading, Sharon Hunt, Matthew Wright, Sarah Cohen and Polly Jackson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops, there's someone I forgot to mention - Lucy Wiegersma!

lorenababbit

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
That may be true I didn't ask. I know at one stage more than one selector where seriously thinking about booting her out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are well informed! But as i said they were never going to get their way on this matter!! .x
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Whispa

Visit site
General response to all, rather than just Lucretia.

I agree about Toytown - if he's sound, he'll be in the team, as there is no way they would leave out WEG and European Champ!!! You do have to hand it to them though - Zara and TT can pull it out for the big occasion, despite not doing much on the one day circuit! Be interesting to see how her other horses go this year as well.

WFP again will go whatever. He has the depth in horses with Tam, Ballincoola, Idalgo (who looks fab in my humble opinion) and I guess Parkmore Ed could well be getting a 4star run in the spring as well, and his 3star results with WFP have been excellent.

Would love to see Primmore's Pride back as well. Does anyone know if Pippa's got any new rides? I think she's only got PP (if sound) and Ensign who could do a 4star, and her other advanced ride Blue Horizon hasn't looked at all promising in his 2 3stars! Chamrock looked good before, but he didn't do anything after Punchestown, so guess he's on the sick list as well!

Re Mary, I think Cashel Bay looks good and could well be a contender.

I'd love to see the selectors open things up a bit, but unless we get a lot of injuries or loss of form to the WEG squad, can't see it happening. However, we do seem to have a very strong set of up and coming horses and riders which is fantastic news to British success in the future (and the selectors must be thrilled as well!!).

scs

Visit site
I'd heard from a friend who asked William Funnell a few weeks ago, that PP had just been scanned again and will not be out competing again until the autumn - and that Chamrock is currently off injured.