British Novice vs. BE90

Charlie31

Visit site
Could somebody who competes in both BE and BS tell me how BE90 jumping and British Novice compare please? We’ve been doing BE90s this summer and I’m considering doing a few BN’s over winter to practice. I know in theory the two should be similar but I have it in my head that the British Novices might be more technical and bigger. We’re comfortable at BE90 but the 100 courses still look a bit big to me so I don’t want to overwhelm myself.

Thanks

PaddyMonty

Visit site
They are more technical and bigger. BE the course builder can only have 3 fences at max height. BS they pretty much will all be max height, with related distances, two doubles etc.
That said, practicing over a BS BN will make the BE90 next season a doddle.
Go for it. Worst that can happen is you roll a few poles.

Branna

Visit site
Having done a fair few of each I would say it depends on course builder and venue! There are some BE venues that build very friendly SJ but I would say that somewhere on a surface that builds up to height (i.e. Keysoe, BCA was also technical the time I've done it) are comparable to a British Novice.
Of course many venues run single phase so the second half of the course will be bigger but you'll be flying by then!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have not found one bigger than the other, as two fences at BE 90 can be 95 anyway, and most of the rest are 90 other than 2 or 3 at the start. But, they di require a different skill set IME.

For BE the courses are often on a slope, a larger ring, and the difficulty will be in keeping the horse's attention in the spaces between fences and keeping balance on sloping ground.

For BS most often it is a prepared surface, smaller arena and flat. The skill there is in jumping a fence already preparing for the next, there won't be as much space to reorganise before the next fence.

I do think the BS fences look bigger, partly because they tend to be in a smaller arena and partly because often they are more garish in design.

Mule

Visit site
I find there's way more time to prepare between the fences in eventing showjumping. With the real thing the fences come up quite quickly (when you aren't used to it)

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Agree with above, tbh I don't think the height will be too intimidating, but you have to really plan where you're going for indoor BS, and it can take a while to get your eye in for the lines and the striding.

Go for it, it's great fun! You can always pop a few fences and retire if you get out of shape

Charlie31

Visit site
Thanks everybody, that all sounds great and like I should just give it a go. It’ll be on a ticket for now at least so I can see it as practice and have nothing to lose.

I did loads of showjumping as a child and a lot was indoors so in theory I should be able to manage the tighter courses. That was quite a long time ago though...

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I actually prefer indoor jumping - less easy for me to get lost, and forces me to ride a whole course accurately, rather than just lobbing around hoping for the best 😂

LeannePip

Visit site
I've found BE90 to be much softer than BS BN; the second half of a BN can be up to 1m, BE90 only 2 fences can be up to 95cm

I've found generally BE90 courses are pretty simple, usually a figure of 8 - BS tends to be more testing lines.

But saying all that, if you are jumping BE90 happily, you will be absolutely fine with a BN.