Brittle hooves

Boodle

Visit site
My 15yr old Arthritic, Laminitic 14.1hh Welsh D x New forest mare has always had bad and brittle feet.

However in this dry spell they are getting worse.

I have tried Bitoin in her feed and have tried applynig Cornucrescine daily.... but after 8 months her feet, especially her fores seem to be getting worse.

She is shod on all 4's.

Farrier (who is VERY good) doesen't appear bothered about her bad feet and she keeps her shoes on fine. But I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Biotin has always worked wonders for me, but effect is only noticeable over several months (i know it's been 8 for you
smile.gif
)
I used to use Keratex hoof hardner on a TB who used to lose his shoes ALOT, and that was very good. But if your mare is keeping her shoes on, I suspect her hoof is only superficially brittle due to the dry weather and wouldn't worry too much
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
As for topical applications, Kevin Bacon stuff is meant to be good. My horse has slightly cracked feet atm and bits hanging off, farrier isn't bothered but I'm putting Effol on her hooves every day now and they already look better after a week. Probably just shinier, but hey!
smirk.gif
My YO uses Effol on her horses a lot, and they all have very good feet, no cracks or chips taken off.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
You could always try soaking her feet if you have a ford/stream you can access - We use the water in one of the x-country jumps!!!!

eekmon

Visit site
I think we are all suffering with bad feet at the mo! My farrier said exactly the same!!If your farrier isnt worried then take it from him, I think the problem 'we' have is the cosmetic look of the hooves
ooo.gif
Ask him to reccomend something, mine swears by Keratex but not all will agree! Think as the weather changes the problem will ease, but if you do have a good farrier he is not worried then try not to worry yourself!
smile.gif
smile.gif

LoneRanger

Visit site
Life Data hoof disinfectant is the answer. I've already said this in another thread but promise I'm nothing to do with the company Life Data! Theory is.. bacteria get into the nail holes from shoeing and eat away at the hoof making it more brittle. The hoof disinfectant kills the bacteria. You paint it on every day making sure to get into all the cracks and nail holes. Farrier can't believe the difference it has made to my horse's feet in a very short space of time, they're much stronger now. Good luck.

harvgj19

Visit site
My farrier always told me to paint them with cheap vegetable oil. Harv's feet were always rubbish, and he would lose shoes and break big chunks of hoof off too.

I was scared to put anything in his feed as he had an allergic reaction to a vitamin supplement I gave him, so was trying all sorts of paint on stuff to no avail. Farrier said cheap vegetable oil, and he was right! Made heaps of difference and didn't break the bank either.

Farrieress

Visit site
I agree with all of the above, there are some fantastic products on the market at the moment. Water is good but in very dry conditions when the foot gets wet it soaks up as much moisture as poss and swells, then contracts as it dries out which causes cracking so keeping a good level of moisture is important. Had great results with Kevin Bacon, and Keratex and life data products are fantastic, veg oil never tried but hey if it works x crack on x Biotin on its own wont do much there are several amino acids which mix with the biotin which allows it to penetrate the areas it needs to to create good hoof growth.

At the end of the day horses are individual and what works on some might not work on others. Like i said there are lots of good products out there i would stick to the one which have been recomended and researched but just see what works for you, good luck x

Boodle

Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'll look into all of the above.... can't go far wrong with vegetable oil I guess!

tongue.gif

Thanks again everyone.