Broad Oak / Brede livery and hacking

Withers

Visit site
Hi All,

I don't suppose anyone knows this area in East Sussex and if there are any livery yards or places for hacking? I though Brede high wooods was good, but saw no entry signs for horses put up by the Woodland Trust today. Is it any good in the area for hacking? I saw some unfenced woodland, wide paths around the powdermill reservoir area.

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to find somewhere to move to in the Hastings area that has livery yards and decent hacking nearby (seems a tall order for this area!). I know there is Battle great woods too but wondered what the other options are!

Thanks!!!

Ladyinred

Visit site
I know the area well, but not the hacking. Sandhurst (5 or 6 miles away) has lots of livery yards and is very popular. Also look at the Cripps Corner/Staplecross area. It's one of those areas that has a multitude of places tucked away down tiny lanes.. if only you can find them!! The Wealden Advertiser (free paper) is often helpful for finding a yard.

Tegan

Visit site
Hi

I used to have my horse at livery in Broad Oak. I didn't find the hacking very good. Where I was there was only one circular route on quietish lanes which is about 5 miles. The other roads are pretty busy. I used to do one other route on a Sunday (when the roads are quieter) but my mare was extremely good in traffic.

You are not allowed to ride in the woods. This is something the local residents are supportive off so sneak in at your peril!

I kept my mare at a private yard but I know that Jenny Slinn at Chitcombe Farm used to do livery. Other yards in the area are Wilton House in Catsfield, where there is off road hacking, 18 Pounder Farm in Westfield and Battle Barn on the A21, i think you can access Battle Great Woods from there.

Sandhole Farm in Westfied is good it has an outdoor school, cross country course and has a regular dressage trainer visit on fridays (who is great!). Rother Valley Riding Club also hold events here. It is on a very busy main road though so again hacking not great...although you can access a quieter lane across the fields.

I know the area well so if you want any more details let me know. I can let you have the no. for Bess who owns Sandhole Farm if you are interested.

Tegan

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Petley Wood Stables, near Battle, I've heard, are quite good, but from what I remember, Battle Great woods only have one route around the woods for hacking.

There's a couple of yard in Pett - not sure what they're like though, but the hacking is good.

Withers

Visit site
Thanks so much all of you, that's given me a lot to think about. Catsfield seems to have some bridleways and Petley Wood has its own off road hacking apparently (just looked at their website) but it looks like they don't do diy livery.

misterjay - I hadn't thought of Pett - I don't know of any hacking that way, except the one byway up Fairlight?

Diva1974

New User
Visit site
Dear Lady in Red, I could really do with your help ! I have just moved to Robertsbridge and am looking for a reliable, friendly yard with full livery and hopefully a 20x60 school as I am a dressage person. Would you have any advice for me at all ? I have been told about Iron Bridge Livery Yard in Telham Lane off Powdermill Lane I think but I cannot find the number. Any help would ne greatly appreciated. Linzi

Diva1974

New User
Visit site
Hi Tegan , could you have any advice for me on finding a good full livery/part livery yard, I have just moved to Staplecross. Would love somewhere with a large arena as I do dressage, but horse care and a good school surface are the most important things to me . Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

spamnchips

New User
Visit site
Hi All,
Hope this may be relevant still and of some use:-
My in-laws have just bought a farm in Broad Oak/Brede area and were thinking of opening a livery yard if the demand was there. Currently have 120 acres of private woodland to ride on, all off road hacking and safe. A few rides have been made through the woods and more could be added, again if the demand requires. A barn could be converted to house internal stables and plenty of turnout already exists. A small indoor school is currently on site, with plans later on for an outdoor too. Current owners horses on site so very knowledgable people. Hay, haylage, straw & shavings would be available as currently on site. Responsible liveries sought, who would value the owner's privacy as well as their farm & surroundings. Please pm if interested. Many thanks