broken /abscessed tooth root experiences?

Cragrat

Visit site
I've just had the vet out to examine my horses mouth, because he is quidding, despite visits from two equine dentists, and he is now showing occasional signs of discomfort when ridden.
My vet sedated him, had a really thorough investigation, and found NOTHING at all to cause these symptoms. Hence is now referred to the nearest vet hospital, and we are waiting for an appointment for dental x-rays. He suspect a broken tooth root - does anyone have any experience of this? He doesn't think its abscessed because there is no facial swelling or asymmetry, no discharge.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have known 2 horses with 'invisible' tooth damage, actually cracked right through, but so tightly packed in that the tooth looked whole until X rayed.

One had an extraction which sorted the issue, but needed more regular rasping of the others afterwards. The other would not be extracted and the horse had to have it dug out sideways. It made a real mess, but the horse came round better than expected.

I also know a horse where there was swelling underneath the jaw despite the tooth being OK. This one had a drain underneath, but the tooth remained on top. The hole was still there years later, needed a pick out and wipe every day. The horse was otherwise fine.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
My cob developed a small, not painful swelling on his face, assumed due to a tooth root abscess. It was x-rayed and nothing was seen, including no break. He had some strong anti-biotics, which apparently made no difference, and was scheduled to have it extracted. Luckily the abscess suddenly resolved before he went in, possibly the anti-biotics worked eventually after the course was finished, possibly my nursing helped (washing out twice daily with warm water and bicarbonate of soda etc).

A year later the dentist noticed that the tooth had broken off at the gum line, we can only assume it was broken but not visible on the x-ray and so broke off when that part got to the gum line. It hasn't caused any further issues, apart from needing more frequent rasping on the other side.

Cragrat

Visit site
Interesting stories, thank you!

i'm surprised at how much damage can be present with so little external sign - that is one thing that was confusing me - my little lad clearly has a serious problem somewhere, yet two highly experienced dentists and a vet have found nothing at all to give any clues as to what it is.

Still waiting for the x-ray appointment - I might gently harass them again tomorrow :)

ETA does anyone know what sort of thing causes these broken teeth? I've only had this horse a year - straight out of racing - but there is no sign of external trauma such as a kick....

Last edited:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
ETA does anyone know what sort of thing causes these broken teeth? I've only had this horse a year - straight out of racing - but there is no sign of external trauma such as a kick....

In my case I discovered that a family member had been helping the YO bring the horses in and had been using my Dually headcollar without any idea how to fit it or use it correctly - I turned up and witnessed him yanking on it causing the metal ring to bash the side of my horses head at exactly the point the swelling appeared.