Broken Collar Bone

JackInABox

Visit site
I got bucked off yesterday and broke my collar bone. Does anybody know how long it's likely to take to heal and how long before I can ride again? Also as this has happened right at the start of the summer holidays does anyone have any ideas for horsey things I can do without going to the yard to start with, or things that I can do at the yard one handed and without riding? Thanks. :)

ladyt25

Visit site
Think about 6 weeks? I know I wad off work 4 weeks anyway. Depends on severity of the break I suppose. Have they just put you in a sling or did you need it pinning?

its_noodles

Visit site
i was just going to say the same - about 6 weeks to have it fully healed...
having saying that, i know people who just carried on...
grin and bear it...
:eek:

JackInABox

Visit site
Thanks, I'm in a sling for now and going back for another x-ray in a week's time to find out if it's healing on its own or if it needs pinning. It looked like quite a bad break to me, it was right through the bone with a gap between the two pieces and one piece sticking up at a funny angle.

its_noodles

Visit site
one other thing of broken bone...
every time the weather changes, u will get a funny feeling on the crash site...
its true for me for the first 10 years any way...
:eek:

JackInABox

Visit site
Oh wow its_noodles, there's no way I could ride now! That said I'm so squeamish I can hardly walk because of the movement jolting the break, I'd imagine a lot of riders are a fair bit braver than me!

Would it be possible to decorate browbands with one hand or would it be too hard to keep the ribbons tight? I though making matching browband and numnah sets would be a good way to pass the time if it wouldn't be too fiddly.

TrasaM

Visit site
Mine took about 8 weeks. I was using my arm before that but didn't ride until 8 and resumed lessons on doctors advice at 12 weeks. Mine was pinned because the ends were overlapping and the break was near the shoulder. Does sound lie yours will need pinning from your description. 11 months on and mine is pretty much as before. Just a bit sensitive t times if I bump the plate. Good luck with the recovery and hope he pain is being managed well. I really couldn't do very much at all for the first 3 weeks. Oh, you also have to learn to sleep propped up.

ladyt25

Visit site
My break was very similar but the bone sticking up dropped down ok and I didn't need an op. Sleeping was hard though when it crunched everyso often! I got through a fair few painkillers and was soooo bored not being able to drive anywhere!

its_noodles

Visit site
Would it be possible to decorate browbands with one hand or would it be too hard to keep the ribbons tight? I though making matching browband and numnah sets would be a good way to pass the time if it wouldn't be too fiddly.

i am sure u can get it done one way or another...
or find mum to do it for u...
:)