Broken Collar/Displaced Bone

Mahoganybay

Visit site
So, I am 5 weeks post break of my collar bone and a couple of ribs and go to see the consultant on the 3.12.20 for an X-ray to see how things are healing.

I know it’s going to take time to heal and that everyone is different but just wondered people that have broke their collar bone if they can remember if it still hurt badly at this stage?

Its really uncomfortable dull ache in my shoulder and shoulder blade but at the site of the broken bone it stings and feels rough like the bones are rubbing together when I move ?

Any experiences?

Uliy

Visit site
I broke my collarbone about 10 years ago - mine was a simple break and I remember it hurt for several months (I think 4 months and I also think that’s what they predicted at the hospital) and I had a slight ache for about 2 years. It doesn’t hurt anymore though and I don’t notice it at all!

However, your description of stinging and bones rubbing together doesn’t sound right! If it is really that painful I would suggest maybe ringing the hospital to request an earlier appointment? I remember the break being incredibly painful at first but I really don’t think the intense pain lasted more than a few weeks.

Which painkillers are you on? I remember being prescribed paracetamol at the hospital but the very next day went to my GP for codeine (and I was only 16) as it was absolutely unbearable without it. I also bought my own sling with elbow support as the wrist cuff I got from the hospital was absolutely useless, so I would recommend!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Yeah mine hurt a lot for a long time! Don't think I was discharged from hospital (follow up appointments/scans, I wasn't kept in lol) until 16 weeks post break, even then it wasn't 'totally' healed but enough that they were satisfied.

Asha

Visit site
ive only broken ribs in the past, but I remember them moving/rubbing for a couple of weeks. Certainly not after 5. id give your GP a call and get some advice.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
I broke my collarbone about 10 years ago - mine was a simple break and I remember it hurt for several months (I think 4 months and I also think that’s what they predicted at the hospital) and I had a slight ache for about 2 years. It doesn’t hurt anymore though and I don’t notice it at all!

However, your description of stinging and bones rubbing together doesn’t sound right! If it is really that painful I would suggest maybe ringing the hospital to request an earlier appointment? I remember the break being incredibly painful at first but I really don’t think the intense pain lasted more than a few weeks.

Which painkillers are you on? I remember being prescribed paracetamol at the hospital but the very next day went to my GP for codeine (and I was only 16) as it was absolutely unbearable without it. I also bought my own sling with elbow support as the wrist cuff I got from the hospital was absolutely useless, so I would recommend!

I have rang for an earlier appointment, waiting for a return call ?

I‘m just on paracetamol at the moment as I react badly to Morphine based drugs, I was taking Naproxen but after 7 days I had really bad stomach pains so the GP advised to stop taking them & take paracetamol. I will message my GP about codeine.

irishdraft

Visit site
I broke my collar bone last summer but strangely didn't have any pain but the muscles surrounding it went into spasm and pulled the bones further apart so had to have it plated . Even now I have a tightness in my neck and along the shoulder but no pain . I would have thought the bones should have started knitting together by 5 weeks maybe you are doing to much with it. I know I was told to keep it strapped and as little movement as possible to give it best chance to heal .