Broken/dislocated tail

hellybelly6

Visit site
Hello

My horse has broken his tail 😭 he had a beautiful tail. He is at the mercy of biting insects now and I would be grateful for any advice etc. he is now the proud owner of 4 fly rugs, is this enough? I’m upset about his tail, he doesn’t give a hoot.

hellybelly6

Visit site
😢 how did he manage that, poor boy.
Scratching his bum. He has a post in his stable which he’s scratched on for years, but this time his behind slipped off the post, digging into his tail 😭😭 one of those freak horse accidents

SEL

Visit site
My friends mare had hers amputated after an accident with a gate. She wears a large fly rug and comes in to a stable if it's really horrible for her.

I'm also going to suggest keep on top of physio even if your horse doesn't appear to be having any issues. It sounds like he's got more movement than my friends mare but she has got some compensatory muscle development in her hamstring muscles

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hello

My horse has broken his tail 😭 he had a beautiful tail. He is at the mercy of biting insects now and I would be grateful for any advice etc. he is now the proud owner of 4 fly rugs, is this enough? I’m upset about his tail, he doesn’t give a hoot.

Definitely patch test it first, and I've had a horse that was fine first time and reacted second, so maybe more than once, but cattle pour on every 3 weeks can be very effective on some horses.

It isn't licenced for horses in the UK but it is in other European countries, so it's fine (subject to patch testing). A few of us on the forum use it.

ETA I found Spotinor cheaper and the chemical was the same in the more expensive one Spot On.

Equi

Visit site
I second the spotinor. I wouldn’t be without it now. It does leave a greasy line for a day or two so if they’re prone to rolling in the sand school let them roll before you put it on, and do it on a day you can plan to keep them in a bit/is very overcast cause it can cause a sunburn due to being oily when first put on.

hellybelly6

Visit site
My friends mare had hers amputated after an accident with a gate. She wears a large fly rug and comes in to a stable if it's really horrible for her.

I'm also going to suggest keep on top of physio even if your horse doesn't appear to be having any issues. It sounds like he's got more movement than my friends mare but she has got some compensatory muscle development in her hamstring muscles
Thank you thank you thank you!! Have ordered 3 new fly rugs, zebra style. The new muscle development is interesting
Definitely patch test it first, and I've had a horse that was fine first time and reacted second, so maybe more than once, but cattle pour on every 3 weeks can be very effective on some horses.

It isn't licenced for horses in the UK but it is in other European countries, so it's fine (subject to patch testing). A few of us on the forum use it.

ETA I found Spotinor cheaper and the chemical was the same in the more expensive one Spot On.
thank you very much. What should be patch tested? I missed that bit

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you thank you thank you!! Have ordered 3 new fly rugs, zebra style. The new muscle development is interesting

thank you very much. What should be patch tested? I missed that bit

Cattle fly pour on.

You need to put just a tiny bit on the horse somewhere it won't show if it affects the coat, to see if it's going to react. One of the two I've used it on came up in a weal on the second use. It went down in a couple of days and caused no problems, but I wouldn't have wanted to put it on a third time. My other horse had it on every 3 weeks for two fly seasons.