?Broken Withers?

jozzie789

Visit site
I tried a horse today, 16.1hh 12 yo, prenovice evented.

However he has broken withers (correct term??), he did this before he was broken in, so about 3yo. The owner baught him as a 4yo and has had him till this day.

Could anyone explain abit about it, and if there is anything needed to know ect. Thanks
grin.gif

Maisy

Visit site
I knew a pony once who broke his withers rolling out in the field.

IIRC it took a long time to come right, but the long term prognosis was fine.........

TGM

Visit site
I know and have ridden a horse who had broken withers - once he recovered it never affected his performance at all, although his withers did look rather odd!

hellybelly6

Visit site
Paradoxically, I know a horse who had unknowingly broken his withers before his now owner bought him.

He was never 'right' with his neck/shoulders and would never go onto the bit and was stiff. He was playing in the field with a youngster and aggrevated the old injury - we did not know this until he had x-rays and is still not right 8 months later.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
There's a horse on our yard with no withers - the vet described them as 'crashed'. Doesn't cause a problem at all with it's movement. He came to its present owner like that so no idea how long the take to heal etc. Seem to recall the vet said it wasn't uncommon to happen to youngsters and that once healed doesn't cause a problem. Probably looks weird when you're riding when you look down and nothing there!

kate081

Visit site
well my horse broke his withers & he eventually died as a result of it
frown.gif
He was chasing my pony round the field & crashed into an old gate post that we hadn't been able to pull out of the ground. He ended up rolling his withers over it & they broke. Vet couldn't do anything. Initially he was fine but about 3 years later he had lost the control of his hind legs & had to be retired (kept tripping when ridden). The muscle wasted & I had to have him pts as he was get wobly & it was dangerous to me & my other horse. Personally I'd steer clear as a consequence.

ironhorse

Visit site
Proceed with caution - when working at a stud a few years back I had to exercise a polo pony mare who had broken withers (she was laminitic too, bless her, so the stud's lovely grazing was too much for her)
You couldn't get off her from the floor and the saddle rolled alarmingly if you leaned either way.
But she went on to have a lovely foal the next year apparently..

annunziata

Visit site
I had a show jumper with broken withers he was very difficult to fit a saddle to and he was never quite right. i could not get on with him and his withers were a issue but he was very high withered as well

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
A friend has a horse with broken withers. He has been unable to be ridden since this was done (around 4 years ago). I wouldn't consider buying one with broken withers.