Bronking

chesnut90

Visit site
Got a little bit of an issue!

When I go to gallop up his favourite hill he has all of a sudden started to bronk a wee bit nearly having me offski! He always used to have a wee buck before but has started this caper. I'm putting it down to new grass coming through.

Any advice on how to control this problem? Or help to get him less excited? Or maybe do I have to just put up with it till he calms down?

Thanks

Kokopelli

Visit site
Sit up and put your leg on, he can't bronc if he's travelling forward. Would also recommend putting a neck strap on and hook a finger under it.

Good luck and try to stay safe :)

chesnut90

Visit site
Great thanks. He does have a neck strap so will try that. I will perservere as he's just being a little toad and chancing his luck!

starbar

Visit site
Ah mine does this...when we most definitely are going forward!!!

If we go up a gear from a steady canter at some point he will do a sort of leap forward and do a couple of mahoosive bucks!

Keep a good hold of him, keep his head up and sit up!

Other than that I've got no idea how to stop them...maybe invest in some sticky bum jods too! :D

chesnut90

Visit site
Well after he bronked today I walked him on keeping his head up, then picked up the pace to a canter and I could see half way through canter his head was leaning down to have a go again but I got his head up and say no in my big bad voice and kept him moving. So I'm ok when im kinda expecting it but when I'm not he knows I'm not!!!
Next time I will keep a good position as I now will expect it

ladyt25

Visit site
Sounds like you're always going to have to expect it! I always think there must be a reason for it but, having just had my youngster do this to me twice a couple of months back, I found it hard to think about what must be wrong with him when I was lying on the floor in a whole world of pain!!

Next time I get back on him (we're going back a few steps in our 'learning to be a riding horse' training!) I will be opting for the keep-hold-of-the-head-and keep-it-up way of thinking!