Bronze League - How much competing is needed.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have found out that courses 85-110 are all in the Bronze League and it's a points league which I like as it rewards consistency. Which is Lottie's strength. (We are 8 for 8 in Amateur Champs qualifiers - 5/5 last year and so far 3/3 this year. And 4/4 for BN qualifiers).

The qualifying period started 1st April. By 14th April I had jumped 4 rounds across 2 events (every other weekend) and got 19 points, for 3 DCs and a placing. That seemed pretty good to me! I would not jump more than once a fortnight unless at a stay away, and I would not jump more than 2 rounds in a day. But that was only good enough for joint 44th in the East Midlands league. Possibly joint with lots of other people!

To be anywhere near the top 15 and able to progress to regionals how much do you really need to compete? Are people genuinely out there week after week? Or jumping 3/4 classes? I'd like to target it but not if it means hammering my horse every weekend..... But there were stay-aways over Easter so perhaps just once a fortnight (ish) is ok as long as I am consistently clear every time?

Anyone done the league and know what sort of total you need to get any further?

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im not contesting the bronze league but the more I look at it, it looks like people do jump every single weekend constantly. To me, it looks like it simply encourages overjumping...

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I've a friend who has previously topped the East Midlands league - and is always there or thereabouts in the top 30. She usually racks up around 250+ points in a 6-month period. Her horse is incredibly consistent and she'll quite often do a 3-day show and jump 5 or 6 classes over three days. Horse is super speedy so will often win those smaller classes. A three day show could well be a 65+ point collection for them.

She could probably get 250 points by doing two 3-day shows (130 points) and then 5 or 6 single-day shows with a couple of placings each time. Over a period of 6 months I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of jumping (and tbf, going out every weekend to do low level BS isn't an unreasonable ask of a horse - it isn't eventing) - but the reason she gathers the points pile like that is because they are incredibly consistent and quick. And the horse is jumping tracks well beneath the max ability of them both. (and they also manage to qualify for Badminton grassroots eventing most years, and have done some 1* FEI events - horse is a super super cool ex racehorse!)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks @RachelFerd, that's useful to know. Sounds like DCs won't be enough. I need to start placing consistently too. Maybe that's a focus for another year! This year Amateur Champs are the big target - not just getting there but doing well there.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
The guys round here who topped ours - one was going out every weekend and the other would pretty much win both classes or come 2nd doing 1.05/1.10. Very very consistent and probably jumping every 10 days with odd 3 day show.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Thanks @RachelFerd, that's useful to know. Sounds like DCs won't be enough. I need to start placing consistently too. Maybe that's a focus for another year! This year Amateur Champs are the big target - not just getting there but doing well there.

Yeah I mean I think the bronze league stuff isn't a great aim because it is generally about riding very fast around small tracks, fairly often. Think it's far more fun to focus on getting specific sets of double clears that you need and targeting some good "destination" champs or multi-day shows.

mug

Visit site
There are definitely people that normally compete at the higher end of the class bracket that step down to increase points too.

There will be a few direct qualifiers for the semi finals which are held over 3 rounds which might be another option to target

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think I was just getting over excited!! My initial plan of qualifying for amateur champs with safe clears, then focusing on getting faster/trimming the track, jump off turns etc, so I can be competitive at Champs, is fine. Plenty exciting enough.

little_critter

Visit site
Not jumping but I tried competing BD MyQuest. That is also points based and I found the problem was to keep in the qualifying section of the league table you had to keep going out and competing.
Just when you thought you were safe someone would leapfrog you and you’d be bumped out of the qualifying zone.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
At least with My Quest was just your average from 5 outings. I didn’t find it too hard to get points and chose generous judges. I did the minimum I could get away with as was pretty sick at the time.