Brood Mare Livery, your thoughts?

Alec Swan

Visit site
Reading another thread has me wondering if such a service would be of interest to mare owners. We no longer breed but we've always had our mares over-winter and out, with plenty of room, 8 to 18 acre fields which have tall and windproof hedging, and decent grass. When needed, hay is fed from tomb stone feeders, with the meek and mild having room to get away from the bullies. The mares would be checked, obviously and through the course of every day. There are modern boxes for those who need to be brought in, and our Vet lives 400 yards from our yard. Vaccinations and any medications would be administered on the due dates, and any visiting mares would be treated as our own were.

I'm not touting for business, nor advertising! This is just a 'would you' rather than a 'will you' and I'm just wondering if readers would entrust the well being of their mares to others, preparatory to travelling home or to a stud, to foal.

I suppose that there's always the risk that whilst there may be owners who, with the best of intentions, have life take over, and we end up with mares being left here to foal which would NOT be what we want, and we wouldn't want mares simply 'dumped' on us, but it would be a use for our land, now that I've cut back on our sheep numbers. The other point is that I rather miss having fat and pregnant mares to go and talk to, and to share what may trouble me at the time! :)

Costs? Not sure, but stabbing at a guess, circa £20-30 per week with hay being inclusive, unless we had sustained snow, and then depending upon the uptake, presumably the costs would be shared. Assuming that a visiting mare would be here for about 8 months, and to be certain that the intentions of the owner were honourable, then a 50% payment would be made upon arrival and would be levied upon new clients, with the balance being settled before the mare leaves.

It's just an idea, and I'm wondering that if the idea holds any appeal for HHOers, so it may for the world at large!

Alec.

Asha

Visit site
I do think there is a need for the above. Reasonably priced, with someone with experience , and the facilities. Must be a winner.

When you do start up, be sure to post lots of photos of the foals. We seem to be lacking In that department at e moment.

Equi

Visit site
My neighbor does this and loves it. I love getting to watch all the fat mares pop out gorgeous foals then I get to watch them grow and mature until they are ready for home. I think he charges more than that during the foaling part and after that they go to the grass. He is always busy so I assume it is lucrative enough! I love having him so near cause no doubt I will be phoning him at 1am during red alert cause my mare has farted.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I used to do this, sort of fell into it as a follow on from having hunters at livery then youngsters and 'could you fit in a mare?' The most I foaled down here was four one year, only one of them mine but some would go away to studs to foal down and be covered again. Unlike you, we're on clay so they had to come in at night from November. I would charge a flat rate which didn't change all year whether in or out, would also include worming and farrier as well as the obvious feed and bedding plus care of course. It was so much less hassle having complete control of when things were done and it kept bills simple for the owners which they preferred rather than have different amounts each month. I didn't make a fortune but it enabled me to keep my own 'for free'. I also would take mares and foals for weaning; they would both come here for a fortnight to get used to everything then the mares would go home, the foals stay here for the winter, job simple and very rewarding. I miss still not doing it but it was time to give up, the old body was complaining after nearly 50 years of actually working with horses, not doing it as a hobby.
If I was to do it again, especially for people I didn't know well, I would use a direct debit/standing order, payable every month, one month in advance, much less hassle than waiting for cheques to clear.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think that there's a real demand for broodmare livery. However, do I read it correctly that you wouldn't want to foal the mares? And how about mares with a foal at foot, would you accept them? Would you offer youngstock livery for the weaned foals?

It would be a more limited market if you only want to take on broodmares, but no youngsters.

Equi

Visit site
Oh wait i missed the part about not wanting to foal there...kind of pointless then in my view. Broodmare livery to me is taking the pressure off the owners who presumably have a busy stressful yard or no foaling experience and would rather someone who did.

Rollin

Visit site
I would love to avoid the pressure and the sleepless nights BUT the joy of putting that foal on its feet and watching it feed for the first time is priceless.

Aredis

Visit site
think there would be a good response to such a service. Some mare studs struggle with space over the winter months.
it would be good to know that mares were being watched over by an experienced breeder. I also think £30 a week is very reasonable.
You would probably need the mares to leave a month before due date which would fit well with them returning to a breeding stud to foal down and hopefully go back in foal again.