Broodmare nutrition

JC2021\

New User
Visit site
I am new to this forum and I joined because I want to learn as much as I can about Broodmare nutrition. My mare is 14 years old. She has had 4 foals so far in her lifetime. I am learning all the time with her. She didn't go in foal last year (it was late in the summer) and I am disappointed she didn't go in foal this year. I want to do everything I can for her in preparation for next year. I am reading about Omega 3 and I am reading about Balancers. While I would have been dedicated to her feeding requirements in the past of Oats and Balancers I want to pay closer attention to her feeding requirements now. As soon as I think she is getting fat I take her off lush grass and I can maybe get overly worried about that at times and maybe that went against us this year. Sometimes I think I should let her eat away obviously within reason but I feel I need to get things right for next year!! I would be interested in your thoughts or experiences. She has been examined by the Vet several times so I am narrowing it down to nutrition.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
I would suggest if you think it’s nutrition related that you speak to your vets about your concerns, especially if you think it’s related to deficiency. It’s not uncommon for mares to not get in foal though even when they previous have done.

I would also recommend reading Equine Reproductive Physiology, Breeding and Stud Management by Mina Davies Morel, the 5th edition was published last year.

JC2021\

New User
Visit site
I would suggest if you think it’s nutrition related that you speak to your vets about your concerns, especially if you think it’s related to deficiency. It’s not uncommon for mares to not get in foal though even when they previous have done.

I would also recommend reading Equine Reproductive Physiology, Breeding and Stud Management by Mina Davies Morel, the 5th edition was published last year.

Thank you very much for getting back to me and for your advice. I have just purchased this book many thanks!

JC2021\

New User
Visit site

She scanned in foal on 11th May last!!!! Thank you for recommendation on the book. It was really helpful!