Broodmare rug...

GemG

Visit site
Just popped a rug on broodmare as keeping her out as much as I can and seeing as there are some nasty icy showers weather wise ... I have only just put one on, and of course realise now that her expanding belly is going to render her normal size rugs redundant soon ... The belly straps are now at their largest adjustment !

Do you buy one of those expanders things for the straps or do you just buy a bigger size rug? Might seem silly question, but....

Just wondering what your experience is...

She will have it off again once weather is better as she is nice and hairy now as I've left her au natural!

popsdosh

Visit site
Why rug!!!! You will see some very valuable brromares on TB studs that are never rugged . They grow a coat and are a lot healthier for it!

GemG

Visit site
Why not answer my question instead of questioning my rugging.

I do not rug lightly! the rug in question is only in use on wretched days which means she can stay out. This totals two days this year.

Yes she has a hairy coat. And yes she is perfectly healthy.

In fact I am the only person on my yard with horses outside today for example.

I am not a rug up to eyeballs person esp with a horse not in work not clipped etc etc. but when it's wild here I do think a lightweight sheet in the worst weather won't do any harm.

Spring Feather

Visit site
My (very valuable) broodmares are all rugged and the rugs that seem to have the longest surcingle straps are Bucas Power and Original Rambos. You can get the expanders or you could take the rug to the mender and have them lengthen the straps.

GemG

Visit site
Thanks for your help LJR and Spring Feather ... I've not had this prob before and it never occurred to me until I threw the rug on and realised her belly is bigger than I thought!

Did make me chuckle as I've just had a baby myself so you'd think id know looking at my own waistline !

DW Team

Visit site
I have found the same problem with one of mine. When she had her 4th she was very round. I managed to find one of the masta rugs came up very deep and fitted her well. She stayed in the same 6’6” rug but with the extra depth of the rug it went out sideways with her expanding waistline! Any of the rugs designed for the chunky horse might be of a help to you. If you go bigger you might find she rubs on the chest and withers.

Lgd

Visit site
Amigos let out a long way on the straps and both of mine were fine in their weatherbeeta's all the way through pregnancy.

GemG

Visit site
Lovely, a few brands to look at/consider. Hers is a FAL and I can't see it lasting much longer due to the belly strap length.

Thank you all.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Amigo worked for me too! My (valuable) mare was without rug until the worst of the weather meant that she jumped my 6ft fencing to get back in! With a rug on she was happy to stay out & at 2 months to go I felt that this was the safest option.... ;D
Good luck!

GemG

Visit site
Thank you again, amigos seem popular in this forum amongst those with larger tummies, they are reasonable price too... She is still in the original FAL one but I can't see it lasting longer than another month or so :-/

Winter is supposed to be a cold one, as long as it's dry too I will be happy with that!

angrovestud

Visit site
My TB are Rugged and they have a under rug on as well for when it gets really cold why feed the weather, they come in every night as well always do

Bedlam

Visit site
I actually agree with the no rug answer. My 3 are all heavy in TB blood and grow super woolly coats and just don't need rugs. In fact - if you rug a woolly bear with a lightweight rug you may actually make the situation worse as you remove the ability for the piloerector muscles to raise the hairs sufficiently to trap warm air next to the skin. If it's only a couple of days a year I think you may be better keeping her in on those days with oodles of hay. And actually as long as she has oodles of hay available she'll be able to regulate her temperature better and generate inner heat from the hind gut digestion of long fibre. There's an article somewhere that goes into all of this......I'll see if I can find it.