Broodmares on a diet, help!

LilMissy

Visit site
Have never had this problem before and am worried about my girls!

Have two in foal mares who are overweight and would like suggestions on how to help them lose a bit without putting them or their foals at risk.

Up to now they have been living out 24/7 in a herd with access to a mineral lick. They have only been having adlib haylage (in feeders) in the last few weeks as the grass was still growing until then! Hard feed, they were getting one feed a day with a handful of speedibeet, one cup micronized linseed and handful of Pure Feeds basic fibre feed.

I weigh taped them six weeks ago for worming and they were both approx. 30kg over their normal summer weight. Taped again today and they have both put on 30-50kg :eek:

Had a chat with the vet today who said a balancer would be best for the vits and mins, any suggestions on a good balancer which is still low in sugar and starch (one mare very footy)?

I have bought them in so they don't have access to adlib haylage. Now just hay (altho it is good quality!) and one has decided to scoff her bed *sigh*. Any suggestions on a good routine for them? I do prefer to have them out 24/7 and they generally much prefer this too but I don't want problems foaling so if they need to stay in now then I will keep them in!

Vet was somewhat surprised as never had this problem before (although moved to a new yard a year ago) and to look at their field, it doesn't 'look' like great quality grazing. One has always been quite a good doer, the other hasn't!

Adina

Visit site
I have the same fat broodmare problem. My CB mare gets very stressed in a stable so lives out. She is only having hay and has no rug. I had my Vet check her as she is not due until July. She was scanned to check everything inside OK. Vet said being overweight during winter will not hurt foal, so leave unrugged - be hard-hearted she said. If she does not lose the excess weight over winter then we can look at changing things in the spring as we will have plenty of time until foaling. I stagger up the hill in the driving rain to find my horse warm and happy, while her two heavily (TB type) rugged mates look really miserable.

Alec Swan

Visit site
End of April and end of May

During the last 6-8 weeks when the bulk of the final growth of the foal takes place, then the growing foal will pull the mare down a little anyway, I expect, and that in itself will reduce what is effectively, fat, so all that I would do now, were I in your shoes would be to maintain their condition, and cut out ALL additional feeds beyond ad-lib hay and minerals. If there is any apparent body score decline, then that will be the time to start upping the protein level. If you have access to good grass, from say the end of March onwards, assuming that we get a growing period, then that too will help with an appropriate condition. We can't see the mares, but it sounds to me as if you may be worrying unnecessarily, and the trick now will be to not make matters worse.

Alec.

Alexart

Visit site
Agree with Alec, I have friesians and a cob who just blob out looking at grass and every year is a struggle to get the flab off before spring, when I did breed from them before they retired they only got add lib hay/haylage and a vitamin lick all winter, no hard feed even for the last 3 months if they were still not loosing the fat, which is not that often as even the fattest will start get thinner when they can't physically fit as much food in and the foal starts to take a lot, so most of mine did get feed in the last 2 or 3 months, it was only when we had a really mild winter and the hay was very good that some didn't loose as much as I wanted so they were on a diet!! A stud balancer or vitamin supplement will do fine along with the spring grass to provide protein if your mare still isn't loosing the flab by the time she hits the 8 month mark, if the grass hasn't come through then some alfalfa or very good haylage is great as a protein source if needs be, so don't panic the weight will more than likely come off on its own, and when the foal is feeding you'll find the mares can be on really good pasture and still not put the weight on which is great!:D

twiggy2

Visit site
turn them back out as standing in will make them unfit and is more likely to cause problems than the weight, they will also not loose weight standing still, feed hay only no haylage or hard feed, the weight will come off when the really cold weather arrives and you have some time before they foal.

did yu ask your vets advice re keeping in and feeding hay/haylage?

mynutmeg

Visit site
Agree with Alec, I have friesians and a cob who just blob out looking at grass and every year is a struggle to get the flab off before spring, when I did breed from them before they retired they only got add lib hay/haylage and a vitamin lick all winter, no hard feed even for the last 3 months if they were still not loosing the fat, which is not that often as even the fattest will start get thinner when they can't physically fit as much food in and the foal starts to take a lot, so most of mine did get feed in the last 2 or 3 months, it was only when we had a really mild winter and the hay was very good that some didn't loose as much as I wanted so they were on a diet!! A stud balancer or vitamin supplement will do fine along with the spring grass to provide protein if your mare still isn't loosing the flab by the time she hits the 8 month mark, if the grass hasn't come through then some alfalfa or very good haylage is great as a protein source if needs be, so don't panic the weight will more than likely come off on its own, and when the foal is feeding you'll find the mares can be on really good pasture and still not put the weight on which is great!:D

I know, it was one of the best things about Roo being pregnant and lactating - for once she could have ad lib haylage :D

LilMissy

Visit site
Vet knows they in. One has a nasty abscess that needs clearing up and is so footy that the vet was worried she could be verging on a touch of lami. She wont stay in without company hence the other mare being in too. They have access to a large concrete yard during the day and have removed feeder and dotted hay nets around for the time being.

I am a bit limited on 24/7 winter turnout as they are out in a herd, which consists of older mares who do need the haylage (and I only have haylage anyway - my other half makes it and I get what I'm given!). I have managed to find some hay for them whilst they are in but not the two bales the girls get through in the field a week!

Any suggestions in a good balancer for the vits and mins but wont add condition?

Am going to reweigh the rest of the herd to see how they are all coping. I may just keep need to take the really old girl out for a feed and her bute and give up hard feed for the rest of them for the moment. I did try to split them into 'fatty' and 'thin' herds but they all hated it and the old girl just stood by fence pining so that didn't work!

I definitely prefer the girls to be out together and moving and they do keep themselves active having a run around!