Browbands... They're NEVER big enough.

janeyscaz

New User
Visit site
Browbands are too small. I own equines no larger than 15.2 and 18" is just fine for my normal 'browed' New Forest x Thoroughbred. When you put your bridle on next, see how close this makes your cheek pieces and nose band to the base of your horses ears. I can now bridle a pony who was very hard to get a bridle on until we got a LOT larger browband. Pony bridle with EXTRA FULL browband...! Surely such a simple thing can be rectified.

moana

Visit site
Yes. Chop a piece out of the forehead.

I know where you are coming from, I had a 14.2hh who needed a 20" browband and currently have a rising 3 year who currently already needs a 20". I get my local saddler to make them up for me.:D

Tobiano

Visit site
OMG I totally agree! Every bridle I have ever bought for my 2 I have had to buy a separate extra full browband. Dread to think how many horses are being ridden around with their heads in a vice :confused:

Gazen

Visit site
I have the same problem with my little 14.3h ISH. I have two full size bridles and have had the cheek pieces shortened as I couldn't find a cob size bridle to fit. She is broad across the forehead and deep through the cheeks.

The strange thing is that her head is very delicate looking

mynutmeg

Visit site
The bother I've had trying to find an ex-full browband that fits my mare, reasonably matches my bridle and isn't full of 'bling'!!!
So far I can't. She's out of work at the moment but think I will have to have one made when she comes back into work next autumn

SNORKEY

Visit site
I've always had the same problem with my 15.3hh Appaloosa x Arab. The only one that's fitted as it should is his latest one that points down in a 'v' shape and it has elastic on the side bits for extra comfort.

Beausmate

Visit site
Too true. I've been known to take the browband off altogether, rather than squash the horse's ears.

You don't need all these 'comfort' headpieces (and the cut-outs on some of those make them pointless) you just need a browband bid enough not to pinch the base of the ears between the headpiece and browband. I've got thoroughbreds and I need to go up a size for them! I feel for all the chunkier types and their poor, squished ears :(

So, why don't manufacturers make them the right size? It's not just one or two cheap makes, it's the majority of complete bridles sold.

Orls

Visit site
I've always had the same problem with my 15.3hh Appaloosa x Arab. The only one that's fitted as it should is his latest one that points down in a 'v' shape and it has elastic on the side bits for extra comfort.

Where did you get this from Snorky, sounds like just what I was looking for!

janeyscaz

New User
Visit site
Made to measure seems to be the only way forward at the moment. I've had all of mine made up. Just seems such a simple thing that bridle manufacturers could rectify. Thanks guys for the input!

dianchi

Visit site
I must be odd then, my TB mare problem is that pony doesnt fit and cob stands about a 1" of the center of her head! Poor lil love!

Wheels

Visit site
I ended up getting Elevator to make one for my spanish boy as a standard bridle did not fit him. He is x-full browband, cob cheeks and full noseband! :rolleyes:

lol my boy is the same he needs an extra full browband, we are just getting away with full size cheeks but if we went for a bit with larger rings we would need cob then we need a x full noseband but only a full size strap for over the head. I bought a full size bridle, had to buy a separate browband and have the crank turned in to a cavesson so that it would fit round his odd shaped face lol

next time it will be made to measure!!!

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
lol my boy is the same he needs an extra full browband, we are just getting away with full size cheeks but if we went for a bit with larger rings we would need cob then we need a x full noseband but only a full size strap for over the head. I bought a full size bridle, had to buy a separate browband and have the crank turned in to a cavesson so that it would fit round his odd shaped face lol

next time it will be made to measure!!!

Haha yes funny isn't it, nothing was fitting him so ended up taking measurements for a made to measure. His noseband was actually full size back part and cob front part :rolleyes:

Visit site
Here is it’s so weird for me with my 13.2 hh (lol I’m a midget I’m 4’9) we got her a pony bridle but the browband was huge on (she has a really small dainty head ) so we had to get her an extra small and it still stood off her forehead

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I always make my own for english bridles (as opposed to the Portuguese and Spanish ones I usually use), the browbands are either designed for pointy-headed TB's or made by people who've never actually seen a horse...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes, I have a bride that was especially made for one horse with an extra long browband, then I had to get an even longer one for the next horse that wore that bridle and the newer browband then fitted the Draft mare who brought her own bridle with her with a too short browband (now wonder she bit her previous owners as they tacked her up!)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My last few bridles have been by Shadow Horse, Sabre and Kate Negus, and with all of those you buy the pieces separately (or can do).

I have to do that as I (shock-horror) want a cavesson noseband. But, it also means I can get an XL browband for my FS bridle.

JFTDWS

Visit site
One of my 14,2s needed one made for him - XXF. His "brother" / nearly-identical twin is fine in a standard cob browband. Weird.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Yes! I have an average headed 14.2 mare who has a warmblood sized browband. I had the issue of finding nice extra full size browbands that weren't all bling or overpriced. At the moment I've got a lovely one off eBay, plain leather and nice quality. They're the FSS browbands :)

Pippity

Visit site
I have a Requisite full sized bridle for my cob. Cheekpieces are perfect, noseband fits on the loosest hole, throatlatch is on the second-to-tightest, and browband is absolutely enormous on her. I wouldn't have said she was particularly narrow across the brow, either.

rara007

Visit site
After a lifetime of upsizing brow bands, now they're too big for my new one and he needs a size down from his bridle! Typical!

SEL

Visit site
I'm not sure how a 2013 thread came back to life but pretty apt today. A friend wants to borrow my surplus extra full bridle and I've told her she'll have to find a browband as I needed the XF one for my horse in a cob sized bridle whose browband didn't stretch to her ears!