Bruised Heels and Pink Legs

C.C.T

Visit site
My horsey is four and has bruised heels which, obviously, has stopped me riding her for a few weeks. Is there anything we can do apart from put shoes on her??

Also, my wee pony can't be turned out even for a few hours as all the hair on her legs falls off and they go all pink and cause lameness so she is confined to her stable and the yard which is a bit of a shame for her but better then being left lame. We have tried vasaline and pigoil and I mean coating it on but it doesn't seem to be working! We have these outdoor mud bandages to put on her but they are too big and so slide off her legs. Is there anything we can do or is it better for her to just be stabled and have the run of the yard as well as she doesn't really mind being kept in and she usually has another pony in with her as she is an escape artist!!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Ask the farrier about the best course of actio re shoes. Have you asked a vet why your pony has bruised heels & hairless legs?

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
I would look at u heels r bruising? What is the surface like she is walking on, conformation, diet, behaviour (ie having a mad 5 mins!), No need to necessarily put shoes on. This won't really solve tge problem.

Sounds like the hair falling out is either an allergic reaction.or a mineral imbalance. Get the vet to check and/or u can get ur forrage analysed. X

C.C.T

Visit site
I would look at u heels r bruising? What is the surface like she is walking on, conformation, diet, behaviour (ie having a mad 5 mins!), No need to necessarily put shoes on. This won't really solve tge problem.

Sounds like the hair falling out is either an allergic reaction.or a mineral imbalance. Get the vet to check and/or u can get ur forrage analysed. X

The ground is a little bit muddy down the bottom of the field but the rest of the field is pretty dry and grassy. The yard is stony but she's not in there much. She's only four but her conformation is ok, she just overbends a wee bit but we are trying to sort that out. At the moment she doesn't get any feed as it's coming into nicer weather...just grass when out and soaked hay when in. She is very well behaved but does get hyper when ridden or first turned out after being in a few days (normal for a youngster though) The vet said she doesn't need shoes.