Bruised knee after every lesson

JBR

Visit site
Hi folks!
I've just completed my 6th lesson yesterday, and I've started to notice something strange. For a while now, after any lesson I do rising trot and possibly canter, I end up having a bruise on the inside side of my left knee cap - and only the left!

I noticed that even when the stirrups are level, my left knee keeps hitting the hard reinforced forward edge of the knee roll(?). I've been on the same horse for each of my lessons so far.

Is it the setup? Is it the saddle? Is it me?

Would love to know your thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks!

Equi

Visit site
You’re possibly gripping with that knee more than the other. Ask your instructor to look out for it and see what they can advise.

Reactions: JBR

Skib

sites.google.com
Our RI said that few riders are absolutely straight and few horses are either. I started riding when I was older than you but it is worth looking at how straight you are sitting in the saddle.
After mounting make sure your seat is centred in the saddle. Then look down at your two knees. Are they equally placed against the saddle? Or is one further forward or lower than the other.
If you are holding yourself with your left knee, it could be that you are naturally sitting over to the right, and that your right leg is stronger than your left when give in the aids. That is natural like right handedness.
But it can also happen in rising trot if you have more weight in the right stirrup than in the left.

To counter this, our RI tells us to imagine an elastic thread from our right shoulder to our left knee. Now imagine stretching that elastic pushing your shoulder a bit back and your knee out and down. That will stop your left knee pushing against the saddle and getting bruised.

In my case, I am too old and crooked to sort it out completely, but things should go better for you. On the other hand if it is a dressage saddle, it could simpy be the wrong shape for you. Most riding schools use a general purpose saddle for their students.

Peglo

Visit site
Have you worn the same jodhpurs each time? I have a pair that I wore for a good gallop and got bruising on the inside of me knees. Must’ve been something to do with the stitching as it hasn’t happened with other pairs.

JBR

Visit site
Thanks for all your responses!

An update: it turned out it was the saddle, although not sure if it was twisted or just simply the wrong shape for me. The riding school moved me from the safe horse used for beginners to a bigger horse with a different saddle, and I don't get bruising anymore.