Bruised soles

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Can anyone offer advise on my shetland's feet. I am pretty sure he doesn't have laminitis but he has been in a field with hard, bumpy ground and I think he has bruised soles as he has rather flat feet. I have tried DIY plastic bonding and ended up with more on me than on him - very expensive and difficult to apply ! At the moment, I have had most success with a casting tape which you wrap round the hoof, wet and it sets in around 1 minute. These stay on for about 2-3 weeks and act like little slippers (ahhhhh !). What he needs is something to lift his hoof/sole off the ground while in the field. I know my farrier in the UK would appy a plastic shoe, but no such sophisications here in France.

cptrayes

Visit site
I'd be pretty sure he DOES have laminitis, low grade. Why else would a Shetland have such thin soles that they bruise on a lumpy field? In their native habitat they browse seaweed on the rocks on a seashore! Have you tried taking him off the grass? I'll bet my bottom dollar it improves his sensitivity pronto. I have one of my own and I would whip him off the grass at the first sign of any sensitivity whatsoever.

Jennyharvey

Visit site
You can actually apply the hoof casts by putting strips medial to lateral over the hoof,then taping around the hoof wall. This acts to lift the foot slightly.
But i would also say that his symptoms sound very much like lami, even just low grade.
May be worth checking his diet for anything that may be causing a problem.

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Thank you for all your suggestions and I agree laminitis would normally be my first port of call. He is only 6 yrs old and did get laminitis in January 2009 when he was on minimum winter grazing (and I can hear you all reminding me about the possibility of a quick rush of grass through mild weather), but this pony is a litle escape artist (needless to say) and in the spring and summer of 2009 he often escaped onto lush grass in the night and suffered no ill effects. Eventually, we gave up and just let him graze as he was showing no signs of laminitis UNTIL February this year when the same thing happened. He quickly recovered and we were advised that there was possibly a link with worming treatment. He's shown no signs throughout the spring until he was turned out into the said field (hard and bumpy). His shallow feet could be a consequence of laminitis, but have always been that shape. No rings on hooves or other obvious indications.