Bruised soles

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Can anyone offer any suggestions for my shetland's front feet. I'm sure doesn't have laminitis because he's very zippy on soft ground, but he has been in a field with hard, bumpy ground and is a little footy. I have tried DIY bonding glues and just ended up with more on me that on him - very messy and expensive. I've had more success with casting tape which you wrap round the hoof, wet and it sets hard. This acts like little slippers (aahhh !) and lasts for about 2-3 weeks in the field. I'm looking for a more permanent solution. If I was in the UK my farrier would put on some plastic shoes (see above) but here in France, no such sophisitcations.

Archie73

Visit site
Can anyone offer any suggestions for my shetland's front feet. I'm sure doesn't have laminitis because he's very zippy on soft ground, but he has been in a field with hard, bumpy ground and is a little footy. I have tried DIY bonding glues and just ended up with more on me that on him - very messy and expensive. I've had more success with casting tape which you wrap round the hoof, wet and it sets hard. This acts like little slippers (aahhh !) and lasts for about 2-3 weeks in the field. I'm looking for a more permanent solution. If I was in the UK my farrier would put on some plastic shoes (see above) but here in France, no such sophisitcations.

Have you asked your farrier? The vet? Sorry when you say you have tried bonding glue- to glue what? Are you trying to glue shoes on yourself or something else? Casting tape? Are you sure you are able to provide the secure even hoof like surface using this?

I think there is a product called equicast but I can't imagine you are supposed to apply it yourself!

The obvious permenant solution would be actual horse shoes I guess.

Sorry if I have gone the wrong gist but your post seems a little odd.