Brushing Teeth 🦷

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Daisy’s teeth have developed quite a build up of tarter since being on a raw diet, rather disappointingly. She does get bones, but not weekly. So I’ve bought her a toothbrush 🦷😀

OH thinks I’m mad 😆But does anyone else brush their dog’s teeth?

teddypops

Visit site
I brush my collie’s teeth as he has just had a dental op, so his teeth are lovely and clean and I want to try to keep them that way. He’s not keen though!

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Jake's teeth are brand new, he's 12 years old and has never chewed anything in his life! We do brush them, with an electric toothbrush as he's not keen on the seesawing of a manual toothbrush 😬 His teeth get admiring glances 😎🐾😍

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Nope, never have done and have never needed to, touch wood. They both have lovely sharp white teeth despite plenty of use :p
The older one knocked a bottom incisor last year and younger one has a bit of wear on a molar but apart from that I'm happy.

EventingMum

Visit site
Our dogs get their teeth cleaned but not with a brush. I rub the toothpaste over their teeth with my finger although you can get the rubber brushes that fit over your finger. Doing this regularly has definitely made a difference to the older dog's teeth as they were starting to get a build up of tartar and will hopefully stop the younger one developing any problems.

meleeka

Visit site
No I’ve never brushed teeth. I did see a vet once who seemed obsessed that my dog had tarter on her teeth. It’s never been mentioned before or since and for an 11 year old dog they look pretty good to me. She does have one broken one but the vet was happy that it’s not bothering her (didn’t want to take it out as it’s a fang and she’s only little, so quite risky).

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Like the electric toothbrush suggestion.
Worth a try, our Jake wouldn't tolerate a manual toothbrush but had always been interested in the noise and vibration from my electric toothbrush so when I changed the brush-head I used the old one to see how he reacted and he was more than happy to allow me to brush his teeth for him, he has my old electric toothbrush now and has hand me down brush-heads. 😬🐾 His teeth are in amazing condition and at 12 he has never had or required any dental work other than burring off a front canine that partly parted company many years ago when he grabbed Spot by the collar, half of his tooth stayed with him, the other half went with Spot!

Visit site
Bought a childs tooth brush for dogs but they wont let me do it,. I got some stuff that apparently sticks to their gums and is supposed to remove plaque and shove it in on my finger. Trouble is I have big fat fingers.

Auslander

Visit site
My dad does - he shows his dog at a high level, and apparently they look at teeth as well as everything else, so Morgan gets his teeth brushed as part of his beauty routine!
He loves it, because he is a spaniel, so even turkey flavoured toothpaste is considered to be a treat!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think it must be breed or line specific in terms of which dogs need more 'work' on their teeth. I've shown most of my dogs and no judge has ever commented on the actual condition/cleanliness of the teeth (within reason), they just want to see whether they are all there or not :p

{97702}

Visit site
I also thought that when I read this earlier CC - my mum has never cleaned her dogs teeth, the judge is looking to make sure they are all present and correct (and that the jaw isn’t under/over shot) rather than how clean they are 😊

Auslander

Visit site
I think it must be breed or line specific in terms of which dogs need more 'work' on their teeth. I've shown most of my dogs and no judge has ever commented on the actual condition/cleanliness of the teeth (within reason), they just want to see whether they are all there or not :p

My dad agrees - he just likes the boy to have a nice white smile to go with his nice white coat!

Mister Ted

Visit site
I brush my terriers teeth about every 3 days. with Virbac enzyme toothpaste and brush.He is on a good quality tinned food and I dont give him bones as he has choked a few times.He chews on a dog toy twisted into a length of "sinew" and it gives his jaws a good workout.His teeth and gums are in good shape.I am lucky that with his lovely nature he allows me to do what I want with him and I can get right to the back crevases.It s important to keep the teeth clean I think as it save all sorts of trouble with tarter build and gum disease up in later life.

Janah

Visit site
Bought a childs tooth brush for dogs but they wont let me do it,. I got some stuff that apparently sticks to their gums and is supposed to remove plaque and shove it in on my finger. Trouble is I have big fat fingers.
I found it difficult to brush my dogs teeth until I made my own paste which she loves. Mix baking powder with same amount of coconut oil, done. I make enough for several days.

littlefluffball

Visit site
Mine gets plaque off and a brush every night :)

Her teeth are disgusting! (sighthound notoriously have bad teeth) and they weren't particularly well looked after with her previous owner. The plaque off really loosens it and after a few weeks I was able to literally flick the (thick and hard) tartar off!

MissTyc

Visit site
I brush with a silicon finger brush. It took me over a year to teach my reactive terrier to allow me to do this without fear of getting my hand ripped off. Now, I also use a metal dental scrape to really clean up. He has sparkling white teeth (is 2.5 yrs old, so still young). Raw fed with regular bones was enough for my nearly 12yo GSD x, but the terrier has gross teeth despite being on the same diet.