Brushing Teeth

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Vet has been to rasp teeth today and suggests brushing the canines of one of our ponies. I naively thought there would be lots of horse toothbrushes and advice online these days but I can't find as much as I hoped. Do any of you brush your horse's teeth and what do you use please? How do you go about it? He is a fairly docile pony but I can't see that he will love it - presumably I can just try with a human toothbrush and water?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thank you. It's to keep his lower canines clear as much as possible - vet said that to clean them off with a firm brush would be beneficial. I didn't ask for more details at the time as it was a long visit involving several horses and I figured I'd just pop online and buy a horse toothbrush and get some details but that was naive of me!

lamlyn2012

Visit site
The EDT told me to do my horse as he has small gaps between two teeth where food collects. . He gave me a little brush, the type people use for false teeth. I use the small rounded head and do admit to using a bit of toothpaste as I think it makes it more pleasant for them. They do get used to it and I think mine actually enjoys it now. I do it twice a week.

dorsetladette

Visit site
My older lad has has gaps in his front teeth and the vet said to 'brush' his teeth. He's not a fan of the brush on his teeth, but vet told me to use a soft sponge with an alcohol free mouth wash. So that's what we do.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
My older lad has has gaps in his front teeth and the vet said to 'brush' his teeth. He's not a fan of the brush on his teeth, but vet told me to use a soft sponge with an alcohol free mouth wash. So that's what we do.

Ohh, that's interesting! Good to have another option as I am not yet sure what Boston will think about a brush.