Bryony Frost wins King George VI and becomes winningmost female jockey over jumps.

Wishfilly

Visit site
This thread is nearly 3 years old and I remember hoping at the time she would prove the doubters wrong. It raises a smile to read it today, Well done Bryony!

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/bryony-frost.758397/

She has definitely proved the doubters wrong, including coming back from some nasty falls.

I'm sorry but I am really not a fan of hers ???

Though I was so pleased to see Waiting Patiently finish 2nd for Ruth!

Fair enough- I am biased because I have met her dad a few times and he always comes across as a lovely man! I do think she is doing good things for the sport though!

Visit site
She has definitely proved the doubters wrong, including coming back from some nasty falls.

Fair enough- I am biased because I have met her dad a few times and he always comes across as a lovely man! I do think she is doing good things for the sport though!

Yeah I do agree she is good for racing - she is humanising it, making it more down to earth and likeable. I just happen not to like her ? I've met her a couple of times when she has been up north and I think it's safe to say she is not well liked amongst the jocks up here!

Wishfilly

Visit site
Yeah I do agree she is good for racing - she is humanising it, making it more down to earth and likeable. I just happen not to like her ? I've met her a couple of times when she has been up north and I think it's safe to say she is not well liked amongst the jocks up here!

Fair enough!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I was unimpressed with the comment that they could have stuck anybody up and the horse would still have won ?

Yes, not one of AP's best moments was it.

The race was interesting to watch to say the least. I bet there are some in depth de briefs going on right now across various trainers and jockeys. Frodon's jumping is outstanding.

Smitty

Visit site
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, it was such a lovely round and didn't even mind my two failed 25p ew bets digging holes into my William Hill account?

However, somebody needs to have a word with PN Re social distancing and mask wearing ?

ihatework

Visit site
Hmm I'm not sure he meant that as a slight on Bryony Frost or her riding, I took it more as a compliment to the horse.

I’m sure he meant (or at least thought he meant) it as a compliment to the horse and trainer, but the timing of how he said it did come across a little bit ‘isn’t it great we now have girls riding racehorses, but this horse would have won with anyone’. I’m not usually too picky about undercurrents of sexism but it stuck out like a sore thumb for me!

The horse jumped super, had his ears pricked from start to finish. That’s what racing should be, BF rode beautifully and let the horse do his job.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I think Bryony settles her horses and is a beautiful balanced rider who keeps her horses jumping. I usedtoolike that she didn't use her whip but she does now in a finish. There is no doubt she forms special partnerships with frodon and black corden

fankino04

Visit site
Care to elaborate on why she's not liked? I think she always comes across well in interviews but obviously that doesn't always show you the real person.

fankino04

Visit site
OH and I have started a boxing Day tradition of seeing who comes out best from £10 of bets (normally£5 on king George and £5 accumulator elsewhere) I told him who was running in it a few days earlier and said how good froden jumped so he picked him and won £120, I stupidly stuck with cyrname and lost lol

Visit site
Care to elaborate on why she's not liked? I think she always comes across well in interviews but obviously that doesn't always show you the real person.

The lads described her as snooty, condescending and overly demandly, walking round like she was a celebrity in the weighing room at Muss one day.

She was fine with me when I spoke to her but it was more of an in passing thing. I just find her pony patting, lovey dovey interviews really childish and annoying. But I do agree it does make her more indeering to some members of the public because it makes her look like she cares about the horses.

minesadouble

Visit site
Yes, just like Valegro could win at the Olympics with anybody on top, no need for CDJ to trouble herself;). It's a ridiculous thing to say.

Well not quite as it is a bit of a racing saying isn't it? I've heard many jockeys say of their own mount that 'anybody could have won on it today' as an indicator of the horse's ability .
Same as saying you have a horse your granny could hunt to indicate how sensible it is.

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
In an interview which was on ITV racing John Francome said Frodon was the best jumper he’d seen which was interesting with all the horses he’s come across. I think Bryony’s enthusiam is lovely how it shines through. It was a super race and fab race by Waiting Patiently as well. Also really pleased to see Silver Streak win.

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
The lads described her as snooty, condescending and overly demandly, walking round like she was a celebrity in the weighing room at Muss one day.

She was fine with me when I spoke to her but it was more of an in passing thing. I just find her pony patting, lovey dovey interviews really childish and annoying. But I do agree it does make her more indeering to some members of the public because it makes her look like she cares about the horses.
I would imagine when you go in to any male dominated profession you have to chose your armour, racing has some very old fashioned attitudes embedded, your job is based on patronage, and some really good jockeys never get rides, so she must have an advantage. She has a strike rate of 16%, and holds up well in the tables.
https://www.britishhorseracing.com/racing/participants/jockeys/all-jockeys/?type=jump#!?pagenum=1

She is probably looking at Haley Turner and looking for her future career, it's not a job that you would want be doing for a long time, so is smart and thinking of her public profile

quan9122

Visit site
Frodon & Bryony were a stunning partnership in the King George, her tactics were spot on, Frodon jumped and ran his heart out for her, PN didn't even think Frodon would win. AP was out of order yet again and he cant even give the jockey the credit she deserved for her ride. AP needs to grow with the times or get off TV really as that was a dirty bad comment made from someone who should know better.

McGrools

Visit site
AP was out of order yet again and he cant even give the jockey the credit she deserved for her ride. AP needs to grow with the times or get off TV really as that was a dirty bad comment made from someone who should know better.
Agree entirely, very underhand comment from AP repeated twice aswell! unnecessary.

YorkshireLady

Visit site
sadly she will have to have some sort of steely determination to make it an i am sure will rub some people (lads) up the wrong way - but she is trailblazing....even if its following some other trailblazers.

So many of the talented female jockeys have been seen as playing at it or copying a brother etc! Tough game and well ridden