BS Club Membership - is it worth it?

Doncella

Visit site
I was considering this as a way of getting back in after a long time away from BS membership, but as my area doesn't seem to provide any 'club' classes and I'm not too clear on just what classes I would be eligible for, shall I just hold my nose and shell out for full member and horse?

elsiex

Visit site
To be honest it's not worth it.

Just register as a National member.

Club shows are few and far between!! They do plenty of small 70/80cm opens at Intro shows which are far more common.

Edited to add - You can reg for 6 months now as long as you reg your horse for 6 months too and it is a Grade C :)

dieseldog

Visit site
Or join as a RC/PC member depending how old you are it is worth paying to join a RC to get the discount.

In my area there was one place doing them, not sure if they are doing them this year. A bit of a waste of time.

DuckToller

Visit site
What I don't get is who exactly are they aiming it at?

The few I have been to have gone up 10cm in the 2nd round, so a 90cm first round became a very wide 1m class - we might as well have done a British Novice.

We took a pony that is not good enough to affiliate, thought Club membership would be the way forward, but again the 70cm class very quickly became 75cm after 2 jumps, then as it was one phase that day, from jump 9 it became 80cm all the way home.

That height was fine for the pony, but it meant we couldn't do two classes as the 90cm was 95cm within a few jumps and 1m from the timed section which is way above his level. And as the rider is an older teenager, she didn't want to pot hunt in the 60cm so it wasn't worth going for 1 class.

The advantage is they are very cheap (paid £7 a class) so if there are any in your area then go along to get you started.

merlinsquest

Visit site
What I don't get is who exactly are they aiming it at?

The few I have been to have gone up 10cm in the 2nd round, so a 90cm first round became a very wide 1m class - we might as well have done a British Novice.

We took a pony that is not good enough to affiliate, thought Club membership would be the way forward, but again the 70cm class very quickly became 75cm after 2 jumps, then as it was one phase that day, from jump 9 it became 80cm all the way home.

That height was fine for the pony, but it meant we couldn't do two classes as the 90cm was 95cm within a few jumps and 1m from the timed section which is way above his level. And as the rider is an older teenager, she didn't want to pot hunt in the 60cm so it wasn't worth going for 1 class.

The advantage is they are very cheap (paid £7 a class) so if there are any in your area then go along to get you started.

Nowhere round here runs the club shows anyway, but surely to go up 10cm, 2 holes, for the JO is correct, so for a 90cm class I would expect it to be 1m in the JO. The club shows use BS course builders so will be up to height & wide as an afilliated class would be, it is advertised a chance to jump round properly built courses.