BSJA Affiliate or not ?

maree t

Visit site
I am sure this has been covered before but I am struggling to get the right info. My son would like to affiliate but he is 15 years old on a 13hh pony. Is there a minimum height for the pony in classes ? I just dont know where to start and am totally confused as to where to start . Thanks

tinap

Visit site
He would only be able to do open classes as you can only ride 138's upto the end of the year when you turn 14 in the other classes. Basically that means he wouldn't be able to do any classes that qualify for things. The opens start from 80cm usually xx

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
He's fine on a 13hh until he's 16. There's no minimum height as far as I'm aware horse wise, but if you mean the classes then the smallest class is about 80cms. I think it's only worth affiliating juniors if there are enough shows run in your area, so see how often the venues you go to hold junior shows. Because he's 15 he wouldn't be able to do 138 classes but I think he can still qualify Blue Chip etc.

Have a look through the FAQs
http://www.britishshowjumping.co.uk/faqs.cfm
it might answer some of you're questions.

tinap

Visit site
^^^ no this is not true. They brought new rules out this year so that the age rules for 128/138 classes also apply for British novice/discovery etc, so you cannot qualify for blue chip or get your double clears for 2nd rounds xx

maree t

Visit site
Thanks, he is jumping 90cm courses without trouble but I wasnt sure if there was a minimum size for horses/ponies for classes as there is for max size. Can he get a junior membership and still ride in the open classes ? Is it just open that he can enter in junior shows can he enter senior shows ? I will phone BS but just dont know anything about it .

tinap

Visit site
Most junior shows run their discovery (90cm), newcomers(1m), foxhunters (1.10m) with an open section also. I believe this has also come into place for British novice (80cm). This means he can jump in those classes but in the open section instead of the qualifying sections. The course is the same & they jump both sections together. They will place seperately if the entries are large enough.

Your son can jump in any of these, there is no max or minimum height he must do.

The new age/height rule is daft! A friend of mine registered her 13.1hh pony & her 15yr old daughter,who is tiny. They did 1 British novice & then the bs brought the new rules in. All she can do is opens now when she wanted to qualify for scope & blue chip. She wasn't happy!!

I'm unsure if the age rules apply to newcomers & Fox, so he may be able to jump in the qualifying sections for those but its worth asking bs to check xx

tinap

Visit site
Any size can be registered as a horse, ponies must be 148 & under. If he wants to jump both a horse & pony he needs a junior associate membership. If its just a pony he competes, he just needs a junior membership xx

maree t

Visit site
Thanks for that, I am finding it a bit confusing on what he can and cant enter. His instructor said he should but need to find out what he can and cant do . he is enjoying doing the local stuff but wants to show his pony at his best.

tinap

Visit site
I'll use this as an example (cos its my local!)

http://www.portroyaleec.co.uk/calender/bs-ponies-winter/view/2013-01-26

He could enter classes 1&2 in the open section as they state rules 77.12 & 77.13 which are the age/ pony height rules (basically 12yrs & under on 128, 14yrs & under on 138).

He could also enter all the other classes in the qualifying sections as those rules mentioned above do not apply to those classes.

Hope that helps!

We've been doing bs with the daughter for about 6yrs & now I have finally learned the rules she has to move onto horses!! It's definitely worth it & the junior academy training is fab too xx

tinap

Visit site
Just a thought, has he done the Trailblazers jumping? Theres no restrictions on pony height & kids age in their rules (obviously must still be 16 or under). The finals are a great experience & they run from 65cm upto 1.05m for juniors xx

maree t

Visit site
Thanks for your help, do you join and get the rule book ? Do you find the competitions fun or is it a bit serious ?.
We seem to have two centres fairly near so think we might go and have a looksee first. He has only jumped for fun before
Is it the childs age on 1st of January or date of the show ?
He qualified for trailblazers last year but we didnt go to the champs as it was so expensive.

tinap

Visit site
Yea you get a rule book when you join which will quickly become your bible!! We started off as a bit of fun but it became quite serious as the daughter did better than we expected so ended up doing a lot of national shows. Some of them can be quite expensive, like poys, but definately worth the experience.

Age is taken on the day although the age classes won't be relevent to your son as he is too old to do 138 classes. When is his birthday? If he is 16 in 2013, he can only compete on ponies until 31st Dec 2013 & would then have to move to seniors xx

maree t

Visit site
He has competed at Hickstead and area for the pony club but hadnt realised how well they were doing. His instructor has advised that he should go for it but he is a team with his pony and doesnt want to move on so will have to compete at whatever level they can do together (he is a very lightweight but 5.5 rider) He has just been offered a horse to ride for free but his heart is with Midnight.
He is doing a fun xmas puissance at the weekend so that should be interesting but he wants to enjoy what he is doing and doesnt want to get too serious. So not sure where he should head.

tinap

Visit site
If you register him as a junior associate then, he could do both the pony & horse. Like I said before though, he will only have 1 year on his pony as you can only be a junior upto the end of the year when you turn 16.

If he was mine & it was possible, I would take on the horse aswell as the pony, it makes the transition easier! Unfortunately we aren't in the position to do that so my girl has had to decide herself whether to keep her 14hh pony who she has had for almost 5yrs & had massive success on, but not do bs anymore or sell him & get a horse. She decided she needs to move on so he is up for sale :( its a shame really as they are like 1 together & she hasn't grown out of him at only 5' too :( xx