BSPA In Hand showing query please

mastermax

Visit site
I have a 16.2 coloured horse that is shown as a sports horse. In the ridden classes he always wears his show bridle with Pelham bit and two reins. He is going to a show (qualifier) next sunday but only in hand. When we have shown him in hand before he HATES being in hand in the Pelham with two reins but have had great success with an in hand bridle. I understand that all hunters of ridden age should ideally be shown in a bridle with Pelham etc but have been told that sports horse can either have a snaffle bridle or in hand bridle.
The BSPA rule book is slightly ambiguous as one section says snaffle and in the helpful hints at the back its says Pelham and two reins.
Question is-can I show him in hand in a normal snaffle bridle or an in hand bridle, I'm very confused.
Many thanks. Photo of in hand bridle and his show bridle with pelham

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Can't answer your question exactly, but instead of the pelham for in-hand could you use a double and only have a contact on the snaffle rein, holding the curb rein really loose? Just so you know for sure you'd look correct and it might keep him happy in his mouth.

mastermax

Visit site
Thank you for reply, we have tried that along with everything else and he is having none of it. In anything other than a snaffle or nylon bradoon he turns in towards you and runs like a banana. I have even trained him using a roller and side rein on just the one side but as soon as its removed the banana comes back. If you use the in hand he is elevated and straight. I think I am going to just have to take a chance and put him in whats comfortable for him and hope we don't like numpties!

catroo

Visit site
What about a jointed Pelham? Would feel the same as a snaffle in the mouth.

If not then I'd have a simple snaffle bridle, wide noseband and ordinary reins over the head. Not the inhand bridle as its to fine for his type and the class you're doing.

mastermax

Visit site
That's brilliant, thank you! I could dismantle his show bridle and just put the snaffle of there with one set of reins. Thanks again and will have a go with it later.