BTW who *does* this?

Casey76

Visit site
So, I was in the middle of the yard meeting last night, and I get a message to say that there is someone up at the stables to see Blitz.

I was really confused as I hadn't heard anything from anyone I knew. Though as I was walking up the hill (in -5C snow), I was frantically checking my phone for SMS, Messenger and emails that I may have missed, but nope, nothing.

When I got to the stables, I saw a couple who I didn't know, and then they introduced them selves. Apparently an ex-client had told them I saw selling Blitz, so they just turned up, out of the blue. If the lady had messaged or phoned me I could have saved her a wasted journey as she was looking for a dressage pony, something quite fine and not a huge mover as she is very petite. Blitz is just about the complete opposite of that description. I just showed her his saddle and she said, "no, I couldn't ride that at all"

But I mean, who just turns up completely unexpected to view a horse (in the dark, in the snow, with no possibility of even seeing him/her move, never mind ride)?

People are funny fish...

Equi

Visit site
Probably didn't want to seem weak to their friend and probably told them some lie about why they didn't buy him (aka didn't jump high enough or didn't know how to back up with the wave of a stick)

Shady

Visit site
I wouldn't do it myself but it happens all the time here, a friend of a friend of a friend sort of thing, they think it's ok to just turn up as there's a slight connection to somebody you know, maybe they'll get a better deal or see something that could be hidden given more time, who knows?
We had a bike advertised on Le Boncoin and a local bloke just pitched up by knowing our name within the village listed on the ad, scared the life out of me as i live totally in the middle of nowhere and was looking particularly skanky that day!.

Lizzie66

Visit site
It could be someone who has been badly fooled previously by well prepared sellers who have ridden horse into the ground, turned out and then appears to be extremely placid when in reality it is extremely sharp and not suitable at all.

Please note I am not putting you in this bracket just that the buyer might have a reason for wanting to see an unprepared horse.

limestonelil

Visit site
It could be someone who has been badly fooled previously by well prepared sellers who have ridden horse into the ground, turned out and then appears to be extremely placid when in reality it is extremely sharp and not suitable at all.

Please note I am not putting you in this bracket just that the buyer might have a reason for wanting to see an unprepared horse.
Yep I agree with this as a good reason. A bit like turning up early to a booked viewing. But sorry you got spooked by it.

MissTyc

Visit site
How odd!

Mind you we once had someone walk onto the yard to view a horse for sale ... Seemed a "genuine" buyer ... except we didn't have any horses for sale. She described the horse she wanted and asked if she could "try one" ... Euuuuuh I had to explain to her that there were no horses for sale on the yard, we are not a dealer's yard ... Never saw her again (even though I was convinced for a while she might come back at midnight to steal a horse lol).

MissTyc

Visit site
How odd!

Mind you we once had someone walk onto the yard to view a horse for sale ... Seemed a "genuine" buyer ... except we didn't have any horses for sale. She described the horse she wanted and asked if she could "try one" ... Euuuuuh I had to explain to her that there were no horses for sale on the yard, we are not a dealer's yard ... Never saw her again (even though I was convinced for a while she might come back at midnight to steal a horse lol).

Casey76

Visit site

I can kind of understand that, but without any prior contact?

They were lucky I was just at the bottom of the hill, rather than being at home as there would be no way I would have got in the car and driven last night if I'd already been to the yard and returned home!