Bucas rugs...help!

Lammy

Visit site
After trawling through almost every make possible I've decided I'm going to spend some of my birthday money on a Bucas rug for my 17 y/o mare. The lightweight she has at the moment has no fill and when we've had some really heavy downpours she's been left soaked through and shivering whilst my boy is snug and (most importantly) still dry in his 50g.

So I've been looking in awe at the Bucas rugs (never had one before) and I really am impressed by them - but really unsure on which is going to be best suited. I don't think the sunshower is what I'd go for as I would like to use it overnight as well in the winter before she's clipped. However I really like the look of the Smartex Rain rug or then there's the Irish Light?
I'm also guessing she won't need the big neck as even through she's a traditionally (broadly) built Welsh D, she's not exactly Irish Draught size!

Any help will be gratefully appreciated! :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The sunshower is rubbish IMO, for light showers only.

The Smartex Rain is fab, I still have my one from 2006 going strong and it's still properly waterproof. At the same time I got an Irish 300g and that is also a nice, properly waterproof rug (1200d), but it is coming to the end of it's life (heavier use though). They are CM's rugs and she has the standard neck versions. She's an anglo arab and she fits Horseware rugs well.

This is her in the Smartex Rain (6ft).
SSCN3503.jpg

For size comparison, this is her in a 6ft Amigo LW (a tad small).
DSCN4174.jpg

You can see that she's quite a lightly built mare.

wiglet

Visit site
Yes, the SunShower is definitely only for light, summer showers!
I have the Smartex Rain and it's a very well made rug. It fits nicely, is breathable and has stayed waterproof (I've had it 5 years). However, it gets very heavy to handle when wet and I've found on a few occasions, it slips to one side if my horse has been messing around in the field so, I guess it's not self righting. Not sure I'd buy another...

buddylove

Visit site
I have the Bucas Select, not really used it much yet but it is a lovely fit on my Welsh x TB (middleweight type). It is a no fill turnout with changeable liners. I bought the outer rug and 2 different weight liners for under £200 on eBay.

BigPony

Visit site
The only time I have ever spent more than £50 on a rug was on a Sunshower. My horse had never damaged a rug previously and this one was wrecked in 48 hours, I was so upset! The sizing also came up small. It's put me off ever buying a Bucas again.

Lammy

Visit site
The sun shower definitely did seem a bit pointless to me...I'm sure most horses can handle a bit if drizzle!

I am leaning towards the smartex rain and it's good to know it's lasted you a good while Faracat as I'd love it to last long enough to be her main rug when she semi-retires in a few years. The select sounds like a great rug but she's already got every other weight possible and they're all pretty new however when the youngster is all grown up I might get one for him.

Sounds like whichever one I buy I'll buy the size up, I'd rather it be a tad big than too small, thanks all!!

tase1965

Visit site
I love Bucas rugs, very well made, very smart etc, however a terrible fit on my Welsh D who isnt particularly chunky but 15.2.. So disappointed when I had to give in and sell them on - the wither area just dug into his neck even after I had padded it. Another small Welsh D on the yard has just had the same thing happen with the Bucas Zebra Fly, never tried the large neck design though.

Micropony

Visit site
I think they're designed for TB types really with small necks. Got a couple of the stable rugs for my chunky WB and ended up having to go up a size and add a chest extender to one of them. That sort of thing usually irritates me enormously, but they were such great rugs I didn't mind. For a Welsh D the big neck version might be worth considering.

whizzer

Visit site
I've got the Irish lightweight that is a great fit,but mines a very lightweight TB! Think it's 50g & will hold out about 12hrs of heavy rain p,if the rains absolutely relentless it does eventually start to leak a bit but I only use it spring/summer & early autumn & have other rugs for winter use.