Bucas rugs vs liner sizes

TreeDog

Visit site
I have a 5'9 Bucas irish turnout and just got a smartex rain. They fit my horse nicely. I've been looking at getting the select cooler and the 150g select stable, according to Bucas website both can be used as liners under the turnouts I have. I've seen them for a good price online but only in 5'6 size. Has anyone used these rugs as liners? Would the smaller size work ok or would it then not fit well around the neck and the liner attachments? Given the 5'9 covers his bum well I don't think 3" shorter would make the length too short

While I'm asking about bucas rugs, does anyone else have a smartex? Do they really keep as warm over a wide temperature range as they say? Just trying to work out what I'll need for winter!

antigone

Visit site
I have an Irish turnout, select turnout and those liners. They are all 5'9". I think your problem would be with the fasteners between the liner and the outer rug - a shorter liner may cause the outer to ruck up. The fasteners are about 4" but you would only get an extra 1.5 to 2" extra if you used half of the fastener if you see what I mean. Sorry this is stupidly hard to explain. Also I don't know if the neck fasteners are closer together on the smaller size. If the 5' 9" is a good fit, wouldn't the 5'6" be too small?

I had a Smartex all in one a few years ago. It was very warm and I only used it in very cold weather. They breathe well so I think maybe horses don't sweat as much at the warmer temperatures but in my opinion far too warm a rug for relatively mild weather and I would use it as any other 300g. Having said that I have never owned a TB type only hardier types.

TreeDog

Visit site
I think I had better leave it for now then. I get easily tempted by a bargain but I guess it's not a good deal if it doesn't work! With correct sizes, do the liners fit nicely under the outer rug?

The smartex I have is no fill, but with the lining it's much warmer than a normal no fill so definitely won't be needed for mild weather. Just wondering how it will compare in warmth to a rug with 100-200g fill. (The warmest rug I needed for him last winter was a 200g stable which was only used a few nights when very cold)

antigone

Visit site
Yes the liners do fit well and they stay put - even on the rolling queen of Yorkshire. One of my cobs has bigger shoulders than the other, even though they are the same rug size, and the liners make it a bit on the tight side for her. The rugs are a roomier fit on the other cob so not a problem for her. If the rugs are a snugish fit on yours I would try before you buy in case it they make it too tight.

I would say the smartex all in one is much warmer than a 200g.