Bucas Rugs

pansymouse

Visit site
After many years of using Premier Equine rugs I have decided that their quality is no longer compatible with their pricing and I have been recommended to try Bucas. I know the sizing of PE are very big and I have sized down to get a better fit. Does anyone have any experience of Bucas sizing in comparison to PE?

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I have never used a PE rug but I bought a Bucas sweet itch rug earlier this year and although the fit was ok, the breast straps were positioned so high that they practically strangled my poor horse when he put his head down. I promptly went back to my old one (Rambo).

pansymouse

Visit site
I have never used a PE rug but I bought a Bucas sweet itch rug earlier this year and although the fit was ok, the breast straps were positioned so high that they practically strangled my poor horse when he put his head down. I promptly went back to my old one (Rambo).

Interesting because I think the PE chest fastenings is rather high and have rubbed her in the past.

turkana

Visit site
I have also stopped buying PE rugs as they are so expensive, so I got a 50g Bucas, I am pleased with it, my horse wears a a 6 foot & it's a good fit. She has got quite big shoulders & it fits round her neck & shoulders nicely.
It has the same velcro neck fastenings for a neck cover as the PE rugs so I'm hoping that if I want to attach a neck rug I can use the PE necks covers that I've already got.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had a bucas smartex.
As above the chest fastening seemed high but not too awful I carried on using it. I hadn’t used PE on this particular horse but he was 6’3 in everything including this Smartex and had I bought him a PE I’d have gone 6’ for sure so I’d say they are true to size.
I just found that my horse always seemed wet on his lower body in it. His back was dry but literally after heavy rain, imagine a blanket clip line, well he’d be soaked from there down. Weird and annoying. It was however worth its weight in gold for cooling a sweaty horse who freaked out in the stable!

WHWMo

Visit site
I have a Bucas rug and a large chested/shouldered cob who normally takes a 5’9 rug. The Bucas Smartex with the click n go fastening seemed very high up her neck at the front but had lots of shoulder room as it’s pleated on the inside and it manages to lift itself up around the shoulder(?!) sounds odd when described...! No problems with rubbing at the front though and she seems comfortable despite the height.

I’ve always found PE rugs larger cut around the neck and have a longer leg length than most rugs. I think you will be able to match back lengths with both rugs but the cut is completely different everywhere else.

I also found the Bucas surcingles too long. However, the rug itself is BEAUTIFULLY made and I found snow frozen to the top of it last winter as a show of how well it insulated her and kept her dry!

only_me

Visit site
Ive the smartex and the irish high neck, both fit really well. The smartex has a great design around the shoulders and never moved or rubbed mine who wears it 24/7 when its very cold (beast from east!). The irish has a lower fastening that the smartex but also found it never rubs and isn't tight around the shoulders.
For comparison I found that my rhino wug was tight around his shoulders and swish rugs fine.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I swapped M's old rugs out for Bucas during the summer when they were in the sales. He's usually a 6'3" but I actually found the Bucas 6'3" were a tad too big, so I've gone down to a 6'. They fit beautifully and the quality is so much better than some of the other brands I'd been using.