Bucas smartex rain vs sun shower vs other...?

Sarah1

Visit site
Hi

Does anyone have a Bucas smartex rain rug?

I'm after a new lw turnout for my boy & had thought of getting the Mark Todd combo (had one before, fit nice & lasted quite well with destructahorse!), however, have also seen the Bucas Smartex Rain and I really like the look of it but it's rather pricey :eek:

Now I don't mind paying a bit extra if the product is worth it so I thought I'd ask you lovely people what you thought? Is it good value? Is it actually lightweight with it having a fleece lining? Can it be worn for a few days if we have a lot of rain with it having a cooler/wicking type lining?

I also like the idea of the Sun Shower but I hear it's shower proof rather than waterproof? Anyone got this rug?

Another rug I've seen is a John Whitaker rug with a fleece lining which I'm guessing is similar to the smartex? Again, does anyone have this rug?

I already have a MT coolex rug but that's far, far too heavy to wear on anything other than a really cold day.

My other options are really Rambo's or maybe Amigo XL? My boy has big shoulders and is quite broad and I just find the Amigo's a little tight for him (classic cut anyway). Not really that much of a Weatherbeeta fan and don't like Masta/Shires etc at all.

Sorry it ended up being a long one!

Sarah1

Visit site
Crikey, I thought they were pretty generous around the shoulders!

Really??????!!!!!!!! Well, in the words of our saddle fitter he is 'built like a house'! :eek:

His PE rugs have now been 'donated' to the skinny-minnie TB...! :D

ihatework

Visit site
I'm a bit of a Bucas convert!!!
I have the celtic stable rugs (which have the fleece in) but the only outdoor Bucas rung I have is the sunshower. The sunshower is a fab rug but it is ultra light and I wouldn't say suitable as a 100% waterproof rug.
I haven't see the smartex one but I personally wouldn't be happy with it as a shell/lightweight type, as I think it might be too warm.

In your shoes I'd either look at the Amigo 1200d range or the rambo's

dalidaydream

Visit site
I tried a sun shower rug on my pony last year and it was much too tight around the shoulders. If your boy is "built like a house" I'd very much doubt one would fit him. I was extremely annoyed as they are lovely rugs but just don't fit my pony.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The Smartex Rain is a wonderful rug. :D Bucas come in standard necks and big necks. I use the standard ones on my narrow shouldered horses so a chunkier type will need the big version.

I also have a Sunshower and it's awful. :(

lannerch

Visit site
My sunshower is waterproof it's a great rug as its so light and my horse overheats easily bucas rugs are however in general quite tight over the shoulders am going to have my rugs altered as currently a little tight. ( have 2 bucas clip for my power turnout which extends the chest area and is now a purfect fit )

eggs

Visit site
I was told by the lady at Bucas that the Sunshower is showerproof but not rain proof ie. It will be OK in light rain.

I ended up get the Power lightweight (silver rug). Really pleased with it but my horse is built more like a TB. For a chunky horse you will probably need the extra large neck.

coss

Visit site
i had a smartex rain sheet for my arab but it was a bit big round the neck and front end and too deep for her really.
It did also leak in torrential rain- but i guess it was about 2-3days of non stop pounding :rolleyes: it was also quite warm because of the fleece but my arab didnt mind and didn't sweat up even on warm days :) the inside is a nightmare to get clean when you get hairs stuck on the fleece - that was my biggest gripe ;)
i have a IV horse rug for my current horse - very changeable sizing at the chest. I haven't found any rain sheet that holds up to the rain up here :eek:

Dogstar

Visit site
I have both the fleece lined Smartex and the Sunshower Bucas, I love them both. The Smartex is SO handy for Autumn/Spring type weather as I hate my horses being too hot in 'normal' rugs. The Smartex is wicking too. The Sunshower is brilliant for my lad who is a massive wuss; if he is left out 24/7 in the Summer without a rug & it rains he's a shaking wreck so I leave the Sunshower on him and it will keep him sufficiently dry overnight- not perfectly rain proof, but enough of a compromise in weather too hot for normal lightweight rugs. I agree they are not over generously cut at the shoulders either. My very old Smartex used to regularly break at the buckle but I would expect/hope they have sorted that issue now..

millymoose

Visit site
Hi,

Can anyone please advise which Bucas lightweight rug would be best to use over the top of a Boett sweet-itch rug when rain is forecast please? My horse has to live in his Boett during the itchy season but it isn't waterproof and he didnt appreciate that yesterday! Thank you......