Bucking advice

horses99

Visit site
Hi I’ve had my mare around a year and half had a started Be80 this year placing at our last two (all well!) over I would say the last month and a bit her behaviour has changed and she’s been rather cheeky/naughty. She’s bucked previously about 3 times in the whole year and only ever on a canter transition.

Lately in month and half she’s bucked probably 10ish times. There appears to be no pattern except she doesn’t do it in the school but will do it on a hack, jumping on grass or XC. She either spooks or after a while just decides not to move forwards and goes sideways. I can feel them with any leg she will buck if I touch too hard. So take today did around 30mins XC fine then for no reason she just started going sideways and although she didn’t buck I could feel she would. So I took her elsewhere let her trot into the jumps and she stopped but then 20mins later she did buck so I did a couple and left it.

The issue is it’s now knocking my confidence as I feel it’s turning into a habit and she has had me off a few times because of bucking either after a fence or just randomly. For example SJ in an arena she was fine last week. This week she’s bucked 3 days in a row (2 hacks and XC)

I’ve had the saddler fitter out and she’s still doing it I have the Physio coming out Monday but just wanted to get some advice in the meantime.

Some showjumpers etc just buck out of excitement but she has never been like this apart from the last 1/2 months and it’s not really out of excitement it’s more I’m not going to go forward. I’m scared to ride her forwards and just ‘let her get on with it’ as it wasn’t long ago I broke my shoulder!

Sorry to ramble and please no nasty messages as I just want to sort this habit, she’s had teeth in last 6 months and as I said is now having Physio Monday also.

horses99

Visit site
Ok I can book her in for something then thanks 😊 and yes she’s never been like this the whole of the last year and now she just starts randomly but not in a school as of yet

Orangehorse

Visit site
Vet followed by physio I think. I had a pony for my daughter who was fine first thing, eg pony club rally, and then buck her off into orbit in the afternoon. (This is some time ago before I realised about asking vet first). Took her to Tex Gamble, back man. I didn't tell him what the problem was, but he told me exactly what she did. He treated her, she didn't buck again but by that time daughter had got frightened of her. I sold her and as far as I know she was perfectly OK. So what condition she had I don't know, but it was after exercise and work.

flying_high

Visit site
It sounds to me that it could be that she;s learnt that her bucking scares you and you back off when she tries it. If it isn't pain it may just be her pushing boundaries to see what happens.

Trules

Visit site
Hi. Just wondering if you have changed her feed at all in the last couple of months? My mare started to buck when i put her on a stamina mix. Scince taking her off it, no more bucking!!