Bucking and broncing in canter

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
My sweet little mare - wee bit keen but safe as houses - has started bucking and broncing in canter when ridden.
The story is - she is recovering from colic surgery. She resumed ridden work 8 weeks ago and has been doing short spurts of canter since then - exercise is under vet supervision.
She was cantered on lunge prior to resuming ridden work. A great opportunity for her to display exuberance and airs above the ground. Since then this has continued under saddle - not all the time but a fair amount of time.
I'm a middle aged not v v experienced rider and it scares me. What can I do.
Back and saddle both checked is professionally schooled weekly xx

Orca

Visit site
I feel bucking and broncing are two completely different behaviours. Many of them buck through exuberance occasionally but broncing is another matter and less usual.

It it absolutely, definitely not related to pain or tightness following her op? Of not, maybe arrange for a pro to ride her through it for you. If it possibly could be, it's definitely worth having her re-examined.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
What does your vet say about the bucking?

The way I read your post, suggests that your mare is only bucking when ridden - which to me, would point towards pain or discomfort.

Has she had any physiotherapy since being given the all clear? I'm no expert in colic surgery, but I'm imagining there has been significant stress on her body since then and more than possible she's sore somewhere? Does her saddle still fit - again, if she's dropped a lot of condition or muscle from pre-surgery (or even just changed shape), then there's a chance her saddle doesn't fit her anymore.

Good luck, I hope you can get to the bottom of it :)

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Is she bucking when schooled by the pro as well?
My first thought would be to get a physio to check her. Lee Clarke is brilliant and covers your area. I would also consider ulcers and give her some aloe vera to see if it settles her at all.

BarnesBridge

Visit site
I had a very similar problem last year - my boy was also recovering from colic surgery! When I first started to hack him out again (about 5 months after surgery) he would buck in canter, some days worse than others, less so in the school, but he just seemed more irritable and showing signs of discomfort when ridden. After checking saddle, back and teeth and changing various bits of tack, I admitted defeat and let him have a few months off to just be a field ornament and vowed to try again in the spring. It ended up being about 9 months off and on, I occasionally sat on him for 15 mins and plodded round the school, but gradually I started to notice improvement. I've started to bring him back into work properly since January now, and he is like a different horse. He actually seems to enjoy his work again and shows no signs of discomfort now. I really believe he just needed that extra time off to allow the surgery wound to heal properly, I'm no vet but I'm convinced it was linked to that! I really hope you get to the bottom of it and have some positive results too :) X

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Does she still have the hernia from being allergic to the stitches used in the operation and the failure of the wound to heal?

I would guess it's related to the extra movement in canter and that muscle weak spot or the gut catching it.

Given the difficulty she had recovering, and the incomplete repair to her stomach wall, I was quite surprised at how much work your vet was happy for her to do so soon.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Cantering uses the abdominal muscles more that walking and trotting ,I think it's likely the horse is in pain.