bucking and ulcers!

italylyns

Visit site
Hi all,
i own an ex racer and bought him about 1.5 years ago, he was in a mess and had been left in a field so was in a very poor state.

I built him up slowly and and we have had a few issues along the way but entered our first show this year. My main concern is that he may have ulcers.
i recently moved yards which caused both of us alot of stress as he was beaten by the other horses and then suffered with attachment issues with the mares. We have now moved back to the previous yard and he settled back in straight away. Since the move and all the stress his ridden work has deteriorated. He would put in the odd buck when we picked up the pace but he seems really unhappy and edgy now and when i asked for just a trot the other day he threw in a huge buck and seemed quite upset.

he is very girthy and i have spoke to my vets about scoping but was wondering what symptoms others have shown for ulcers and if bucking was one of them??

mandwhy

Visit site
Have you tried feeding him a nice big fibre feed before riding him? That's what I do for my mare, something alfalfa based and non molassed like Dengie healthy tummy is ideal.

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
Quite possible....although I would also check for kissing spines or other physical issue. It depends if it is a TB playful buck or a GET OFF MY BACK! type buck!!! and some behaviour on the ground may give you a few clues too...!

italylyns

Visit site
He is fed healthy tummy already and always has a haynet before riding too. He had a full body thermography scan done a while back and he doesnt have any back issues hence why i can only think it may be ulcer related.